What's new

Piano, low light

Alzran

TPF Noob!
Joined
Mar 22, 2013
Messages
61
Reaction score
16
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My camera is not good at capturing low-light photos (Kodak Easyshare C813). I don't really know how to describe in words my frustrations with taking low-light pictures, so, take a look.

The first is just a photo. The second is a still frame from a video of me playing.

There was literally no overhead or ambient lighting. Aside from two colored LED spotlights (one can be seen, another cannot), it was pitch black in there.

piano2v.jpg



piano1o.jpg



The idea was that I wanted the only light to provide all the color I would need in my photos or video so that I wouldn't have to do any editing. But, for some reason, it just didn't turn out very well.

Any suggestions on what I may do to improve these, in terms of lighting or exposure? I can't manually control my exposure settings, but there are preset "modes" that I can play with that will automatically adjust exposure, color balance, etc.
 
Not bad under the circumstances and with your current gear. Unfortunately, with the limitations of a basic camera like that, it's going to be a real challenge to get these to where you want them.
 
I like number 1, but one little change would have made a big difference. As dark as the background is, throw a black towel or something over your white bucket. It is light enough to command attention away from the piano. A black cloth and it would have disappeared. Without the cloth, it looks like you are in my garage.
 
I agree about the bucket. Looking down the keys of the piano led my eyes right to it. It also may be worth a try to change the lighting angles a little bit. Maybe bring them up slightly higher (out of frame) and try and position them in such a way that little or no stray light is thrown on the back ground. I think you can still get a cool pic/video with what you have if you can darken up that back ground and keep the focus of the pic/video on the keys and your hands. Also try a few other camera angles. If you can get the piano to fill more of the frame, the back ground becomes less of an issue.

With everything said, it looks like you may be on to something. I do like the effect of your pic.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom