Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

Please find below two shots of Maastricht, my home in the netherlands.

All c&c welcome -- please be brutal I'd really like to learn :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

These were shot with a Mamiya RZ II 100mm f2 lens using ilford special effects iso 200 enhanced red sensitivity, with no filter, then scanned on a canoscan 8800F.

The thing I'm a little iffy on is when I didn't do any sharpening, the shots looked a little soft, but I think my sharpening + lightroom export sharpening may be a little too much sharpening.

Sharpening seems to make the whole picture look better but if I zoom in the grain looks much more prominent

photoforumgallery-1-of-2.jpg

photoforumgallery-2-of-2.jpg

Hi, First, nice shots. I really like that first shot.

On the critical side, you need to address the lint and dust on your scans and also watch the horizons. It may well be that the camera was level but the apparent horizon is defined by the bridge in these shots and gives the viewer that old "I feel like I need to straighten up" feeling.

:)

Hi, First, nice shots. I really like that first shot.

On the critical side, you need to address the lint and dust on your scans and also watch the horizons. It may well be that the camera was level but the apparent horizon is defined by the bridge in these shots and gives the viewer that old "I feel like I need to straighten up" feeling.

:)

Thanks for the feedback.

The horizon is tricky I actually tried straightening it in lightroom and the bridge is as flat as I can get it -- but it curves a little and I think due to the perspective I had to choose whether I wanted the lamps straight up or the bridge flat.

Also where do you see hte dust? I thought I'd gotten it all with the spot tool

Heel mooi! Het scannen geeft echt een authentieke uitstraling!
And now keeping the rest in the loop as well. I agree on the lint. The dust is fine, because that is what you would expect, but the lint is a bit overdone. Only the apartment buildings in the distance reveals the true identity of the first picture.

Laat Maastricht maar komen!

on my monitor they appear to be seriously underexposed.

That's interesting because although my monitor is not calibrated, the bottom half of hte image is basically as it came off the scanner

The top half I used a gradiant fill to darken the sky so you can see teh clouds

Heel mooi! Het scannen geeft echt een authentieke uitstraling!
And now keeping the rest in the loop as well. I agree on the lint. The dust is fine, because that is what you would expect, but the lint is a bit overdone. Only the apartment buildings in the distance reveals the true identity of the first picture.

Laat Maastricht maar komen!

Dankjewel (thank you)

Yeah, mine too. My monitor is calibrated, but problem with a lot of these web based photo sites is nasty compression. Face Book is crap for photos. I'd be willing to bet on his monitor they aren't nearly as underexposed. Subject matter is nice, tho.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back