Pictures for advice/critique... lot of help needed :)

PSUSmrks715

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone :) I am new to the site and have mainly been taking the photos the last couple years for fun... now that Im finishing up my master's program, I have more time for photography and would like to receive some critiques/advice on some of my photos... I have more on PhotoBucket, but I tried to pick out 10-12 to have you guys/gals look at. Thanks so much in advance for the feedback!

100_4352.jpg

DSC_00272.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0219.jpg

Last edited:
2nd image: I see how the subject is connecting to the landscape that's cool, but I don't like the gradient or whatever the effect or action is. 3rd image: I don't like the effect used here either sorry just seen it done to often. I find the sign on the left which is cut off to be distracting ;) 4th image: Is under exposed. 5th image: The light is too dull. Try using daylight ( or in the morning) it works well with glass. You can use various household items to absorb and "transfer" the light into different shades of light be creative that's part of the fun ;)

@ Sebastian: Thanks for the feedback... Ill work with my editing software and see what I can do to help these... on the 5th one - will the light have the same effect on ice as it does on glass? These are ice glasses from the Kiruna Ice Bar... so not a whole lot of light available... Ill see what i can do though ;)

Yeh a lot better ;) especially with #1 and #2. Oh they're ice glasses cool. So where is the light coming from ? Is there light emanating from the table ? Ahh I just looked at your exif data for the glasses.I would suggest shooting at the lowest iso setting and relying on a slow shutter speed to bring in the light. Place the camera on the bar because you won't be able to hold it.

Last edited:
Good to know on the light... yeah the lighting was really low in the room, but lights were illuminating from inside the bar itself up into the glasses. Thanks again ;)

Avoid the sepia shade. Stick to colour, but get the lighting and contrast correct. Take a look at www.photoinf.com for some articles on composition which you also need to learn.

skieur

picture 1: i love the sun reflection on the water, but the sun itself is a bit too bright. if you make the reflection and the sun a teeny bit softer then the focus will be more on the girl then on the blinding light to her right.

picture 2: great shot, beautifully framed. again, im not a huge fan of blinding white-out sun sections, but obviously thats a style preference. easily the best framed of your 4 shots here.

picture 3: i dig closeups myself, but the big decision is whether or not to cut off some of the edge of your subject to direct the focus. in this case i think it works because you focused neatly on the center of the flower, but more vivid colors in the center would help the picture if youre going to make the focus the inside and not the entirety of the flower.

picture 4: i really like this one, cuz its kind of abstract. i think its an icecube with some kind of spoon frozen in it? the blurry background looks cool, but it also makes it somewhat more confusing what the subject of the image actually is.

Most reactions

Back