pictures keep coming out blurry

I've been shooting in AV. I had the ISO set to auto so didn't think I had to worry about that.

Because Av is the aperture... It controls the diameter of the hole in which the light enters the camera... The camera then chooses a shutter speed and ISO setting to give you a correct exposure. And this results in a slow shutter speed...

I kept increasing shutter speed but the pictures kept getting darker.

I am unsure about your camera... But in Av mode you can not change the shutter speed. In order to change the shutter speed, you need to be in Tv mode or manual mode... And as you increase the shutter speed (the amount of time the aperture remains open to allow light into the camera... you need to increase your aperture and/or ISO to compensate for the differense in light being allowed to reach the sensor. This is why your shots appear dark or under-exposed.

Read the link I posted... Search the net for exposure or exposeru triangle... Get and read Bryan Peterson's book called Understanding Exposure.

Once you understand how and why the aperture, shutter speed and ISO settings are related... you will be much further ahead and you'll be able to take better photos...

gotcha ok thanks everyone appreciate the speedy responses! in the meantime ill be reading about the exposure triangle. =)

even with this much light, camera shake affects it that much? and by this much i mean a chandaleer and a lamp. =P

yeah it can make a big difference, but im looking at it again and it seems like 1) its focusing on the background cabnits not the people, and
2) the people seem to bee turning their heads or moving of some sort, so with a shutter of 1/13 theres no way capture movement like that and have it be still.

not sure your lens speed, but lowering the aperture could allow for a faster shutter, and a flash too would do the trick.

thanks. i was shooting in AV and it was as high as it could go at 3.5 i believe.

so to properly shoot this picture with the lens that i had, id really need a flash, a tripod for no shake, or more lights around

oh and btw your flickr pics are SICK. i live in sf and my goal is to take pics like yours. hahhaa

dah - yes, you need a flash in this case. Your ISO is as high as it's going to get, your aperture is as wide as it's going to get, so that means that your shutter speed is as fast as it's going to get unless you turn on the flash...

Now, when you turn on the flash, it will help because the flash tends to "stop movement", but your shutter speed might still be low. It might bump up to 1/30 or so... You should still use a tripod :)

The cabinets are not blurred, that would indicate that this is a case of motion blur and not camera shake. So a tripod might not help. So its just a matter of using the flash to freeze motion.

Do a test outside on a well lit day of someone walking slowly along in shutter priority. do a series of images 1/15 1/30 1/60 and so on up to 1/1000 at your widest zoom mid zoom and then full zoom. Then examine them carefully, you will be shocked how many of them have some degree og camera shake. But it will tell you what shutter speed you need to get sharp images. eg 50mm lens need 1/125 to get relatively sharp images 24 mm needs 1/30 to get same sharpness and 200mm you need 1/500 to get a camera shake free image. good luck

The cabinets are not blurred, that would indicate that this is a case of motion blur and not camera shake. So a tripod might not help. So its just a matter of using the flash to freeze motion.

At least one person here gets what's going on.

1/13s is probably fast enough with the IS and short focal length to prevent camera shake, but the people are moving. Make them hold still or add more light are your only options.

even with this much light, camera shake affects it that much? and by this much i mean a chandaleer and a lamp. =P
The camera does not 'see' the same way yours eyes do.

The camera needs a lot more light than your eyes do. That's why strobed (flash) light is so bright.

thanks for all the tips everyone...will def be makign adjustments and 'trying' to commit all this to memory.

basically you have to look at your subject, in this case people who are talking, moving, not posing.

Subject=moving

Then look at your objective, in this case you want motion stopped.

Stopping motion=faster shutter speed.

In order to capture your subject with your objective you will need a faster shutter speed than you are using. Your only options are..

Open aperature
Increase ISO sensitivity (which will decrease quality at a point)
Increase lighting.

The correct answer here is to:

Set ISO to ~400 (take it off auto)
Set shutter speed ~1/60 (shutter priority mode)
Increase lighting either ambient or flash/strobe.

Most reactions

Back