Pictures of my cat with my new Sony

kw1k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i just got my New Sony Alpha in the mail the other day i took a few pictures of my cat yesterday morning tell me what you guys think!

dsc00125sh1.jpg

In the first photo I think it is a pity that your cat is in the shadows whereas the background is in the sun. Something does not feel quite right here what with the distribution of light.

In the second it is a pity that a stripe of shadow fell across your cat's eyes right in the moment of you taking the photo. It looks like only a short time later its eyes would have been in the sun, catching that light.

The third is nicest, a) because the grass is so wonderfully green (and I just love that colour, which is news to most on here, I am sure :greenpbl: ), and b) because your cat is in the sun.
The background feels a bit "cluttered" with so much yet to be seen and recognised, and it takes away from your subject. The way you took this photo also places your cat's eyes into the very centre of your frame.
Both things could be changed by a simple crop. If this were mine, I'd crop in from the left so the neighbours' car and house would disappear completely, preferably also what looks like a blue trashbag. And then I'd crop in from above so the dangling light fixtures would also almost totally disappear, watch for your cat's ears, though, don't crop those!

But hang on! My "scroll-crop" shows me that then your cat has no more room to look into within the frame. Hmph ... :scratch: ... that is not good, either. Since it is gazing in that direction, there should be room enough for it to gaze into.

Well, it is up to you if you want to take up my cropping ideas (the trashbag need not oh-so-necessarily go!) and what you come up with for yourself. Maybe you also are all pleased with the photo as it is?

Thank you for you criticism , i'll learn from it. I'm a new to the world of photography i've always recognized the art , just never really went after it. I'm finally starting & i love it. It's a very peaceful hobby i must say. I'm going to order a few books to read , oh and Do you guys have any links i could read on ? i've found this one http://www.photo.net/learn/making-photographs/light

Which i read today, very helpful any other links that would help me?

Go search for questions on books to read in The Beginners' Place or somewhere there in the Photography Discussion forums, or use the forum's search function and put in Books on Photography or so ... that should give you some threads with useful hints. The question on what to read has been asked many times before.

Honestly, if you really want to start getting into photography and are thinking of buying instructional books on it (which aren't exactly cheap, you're looking at textbook prices) then I'd highly suggest just heading down to your local community college and enrolling in a photo101 or the equivalent. It'll cost you about the same as a few books, but you'll get a lot more out of it. Com Colleges are very flexible with schedules, especially with introductory classes.

Be sure its a digital class though, I started with wet lab photography and absolutely love it, but since you already have a digital camera and its just more practical nowadays, go that route.

great idea, thanks alot:thumbup:

I do agree with lafoto about pic 2 shadow off of the eyes may have finished it off quite nicely. I do like pic 3 though just coz when cats stare with their eyes it scares me lol so i like it hehehehe

Stu

Most reactions

New Topics

Back