Pictures showing up black

biancarose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.shadylittleroad.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok, I have a question for you all. I have my Nikon D40 in Manual, no flash. I reset it to factory and the top left says 1600 (IDK what that is maybe ISO, but my ISO i set at 200, so I am confused) The other settings are F11 the +/- os 0.0 and then on the bottom right it says 623.

I am really sorry I dont know what all this means yet.

Anyways, the problem is when I take a picture nothing shows up, the picture is black. When I turn the flash on, I get a picture fine. Even when I am in a well lit room.

Please can someone help me?

1600 is the shutter speed F11 is the aperture, for that setting you would have to be outside in very bright sunlight to get a picture, sorry but it is all user error

It sounds to me as though you are shooting in manual, 1/1600 second shutter speed and F11 aperture. That is going to give you a black image.

Set the dial on top on P and see what results you get.

1600 is the shutter speed F11 is the aperture, for that setting you would have to be outside in very bright sunlight to get a picture, sorry but it is all user error

Oh yeah, I totally know it is user error. :sexywink:
I just dont know how to fix it. I tried adjusting things. I cant wait for my photography class.

It sounds to me as though you are shooting in manual, 1/1600 second shutter speed and F11 aperture. That is going to give you a black image.

Set the dial on top on P and see what results you get.

I get a picture. I guess, I just figure because I always hear people saying to use Manual, that I should always use manual.

Ok, I have a question for you all. I have my Nikon D40 in Manual, no flash. I reset it to factory and the top left says 1600 (IDK what that is maybe ISO, but my ISO i set at 200, so I am confused) The other settings are F11 the +/- os 0.0 and then on the bottom right it says 623.

I am really sorry I dont know what all this means yet.

Anyways, the problem is when I take a picture nothing shows up, the picture is black. When I turn the flash on, I get a picture fine. Even when I am in a well lit room.

Please can someone help me?
I don't know what the 1600 IDHK means. The +/- os 0.0 is the Exposure Compensation. You have none set (0.0) the 623 is the number of images your memory card can still accept. It is an approximate number.

All the information describing the indicators in your viewfinder are in your camera manual.

I get a picture. I guess, I just figure because I always hear people saying to use Manual, that I should always use manual.

For the type of shooting you do, you should just use aperture priority mode. Choose your aperture and let the camera determine the right shutter speed. Some people treat manual mode as this elitist thing that makes them more awesome than others, but the photo is what matters, not the mode you took it in. Using manual does give you more control of your exposure, and it is definitely good to know how to use, but it's not always appropriate. Especially in situations where you need the shot fast, and not having to fiddle with your settings. Learn about exposure, learn your camera, learn it's modes and then move into shooting manual in controlled settings where it doesn't matter if it takes 20min to get a good exposure.

You're listening to the wrong people.

Using manual mode is something you work up to in this day and age of automatic cameras.

To use manual mode effectively you need to be very familiar with how aperture, DOF, shutter speed and ISO effect your image and which of those 4 is the most critical at the time you want to make the exposure.

Take Shermans advice and explore the other camera modes too. Again, there is a ton of information in your camera manual. When you have a question there are tons of resources on the Internet for finding the answer.

Only believe about half of what you read or see on the Internet....:sexywink:

The only time you should be using manual on your camera is if you know what the resulting photo will likely look like using the settings you have manually set..

If you want good photos before you learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO; put it in P or on the green box.

If you want good photos before you learn the relationship between shutter speed, aperture, and ISO; put it in P or on the green box.

you mean put it in "AUTO" :shudders: :D:mrgreen:

For the type of shooting you do, you should just use aperture priority mode. Choose your aperture and let the camera determine the right shutter speed. Some people treat manual mode as this elitist thing that makes them more awesome than others, but the photo is what matters, not the mode you took it in. Using manual does give you more control of your exposure, and it is definitely good to know how to use, but it's not always appropriate. Especially in situations where you need the shot fast, and not having to fiddle with your settings. Learn about exposure, learn your camera, learn it's modes and then move into shooting manual in controlled settings where it doesn't matter if it takes 20min to get a good exposure.

:cheers:

Amen.....

Most reactions

Back