Pies Stilts (7 images)

nzmacro

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry folks, misspelled the title. Should read Pied Stilt, not pies :) :)

Pied Stilts and I like these graceful birds, well almost. I've seen some really aggressive action from them at times, mating season of course, but man can these scarp. I'll post up a series one day of the wannabe Killer Stilts.

Anyway, while they are peaceful

1: Smack bang in the middle shot, sometimes I just don't like the thirds.

orig.jpg

2: Another almost smack bang in the middle shots with a couple of ducks.

orig.jpg

3: In a small flock entering the estuary

orig.jpg

4: Blasting through with a juvenile in front and adult behind.

orig.jpg

5: Coming around on a turn

orig.jpg

6: Off and about

orig.jpg

7: Hungry for small crab

orig.jpg

Canon FD 500mm F/4.5L on the Sony NEX-7

All the best folks.

Danny.

PS: Oops, the first shot is with the Panasonic G2 and a Canon FD 300 F/2.8L.

Last edited:
Same species I think. Just different local names I guess.

All the best Jason and thanks.

Danny.

The thirds act just as a reference to me, I too believe more on my eyes for composition. BTW #1 is a real wow shot. #2 is also so symmetrical, it looks great. Although I think you missed the focus on the stilts just a bit by your standards. I really love #1, #2,#3,#4,#5,#6 & #7. Rest of them are really poor shots :p

Last edited:
Nice shots, thanks! I don't think we have anything like those down this way.

The thirds act just as a reference to me, I too believe more on my eyes for composition. BTW #1 is a real wow shot. #2 is also so symmetrical, it looks great. Although I think you missed the focus on the stilts just a bit by your standards. I really love #1, #2,#3,#4,#5,#6 & #7. Rest of them are really poor shots :p

LOL, trust you mate :) Thanks Raj ;)

All gorgeous, but I really like the tranquility of # 1.

And the "Rule of Thirds" was made to be broken. Then smashed into pieces. Then stomped on. Then thrown out with the other nonsense. :er: Lee

Nice set! What is a wannabe Killer Stilts?

I'm with Raj on this one--the only ones I really like are the first two, and the last five. Other than that, they need some work. :lmao:

Seriously, beautiful shots of beautiful birds! I just love shorebirds anyway and we don't get very many of the American equivalent of these around my area.

Oh, as for the centering on the first--ROT is a guideline based on what TENDS to be pleasing to the eye and what TENDS to draw the viewer into the picture. But in this case, IMO, using ROT would actually have diminished the result, because of the reflection, and the water ripples that I think really add to the image. I wouldn't have wanted to crop out those ripples on the right, and while I *might* be willing to lose the lesser ripples on the left, the bird is clearly moving toward the left, so I wouldn't have wanted to crop the side it's moving into, either. So yeah...middle works.
The middle clearly works in the second because you've got such nice symmetry happening there, with two stilts and two ducks, doing the same thing, on either side. I just wish you'd gotten the duck on the left to turn in TOWARD the other duck. You gotta get those ducks to take direction from you better. :D

Great set, I'm with the rest #1 is outstanding.

#1 &#2 are awesome. I especially like #2 because it is like a double mirror. Very nice shots.

Great shots. It would be tough for me to pick a favorite. My mood would change my pick each time.

Getting the in flight shots could not be easy. Way to go!!!

Looks like Black-winged, Pied, and Common stilts are (confusingly) the same? LOL Black-necked has mostly black around the head. Love the skinny legs (only on birds) :)

Most reactions

Back