Pigeons - something or nothing?

I think the orginal is perfect. I wouldn't crop anything or take anything out. Well done.

I would have to agree that a bit of a crop to pull the man to the right side would make the picture. If I were wagner I would say that it was as it were to be but I'm not, so I would have to say that I agree with jonmikal to a point and do in fact like the picture as it was originally.

[edit] - did that make any sense? maybe not, but at this point oh well. Beer can only do so much good.

I like the both versions, but I have to wonder what image were you capturing? I see three things

1. the abstract of lines from the building. Birds and man aren't needed for this.

2. picture of man. the cropped version tightens it up for me. less distracting

3. picture of birds. If that's the case, bring them in more. Make one or two of them real sharp.

Well, the subject for me was the old man and the pigeons, with each having equal importance. I guess what hit me when I saw this scene was sort of a sense of isolation and loneliness ... actually, probably more loneliness that anything else. Previous posters were very perceptive picking up on the architecture which I also liked as a backdrop. It was shot in Malta or Syracusa (can't remember which) when my wife and I went to Italy this past spring. I went back through all the shots, trying to find some that would be appropriate for framing, and I think I really like this one.

I appreciate everyone who commented on this, it helps to have multiple sets of eyes critique your work. I consider myself at this point to only be a snapshot artist, not even an amatuer, who occasionally lucks up and finds a suitable print.

Thanks again
John

Most reactions

Back