What's new

Pink

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 21, 2012
Messages
115
Reaction score
17
Location
Coconut Creek, Fl
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Everyone Im a bit new to photography and I was looking for some critiques of a few photos I shot. This a few photos of this pink flower I found on my campus. Any tips would be appreciated since Im pretty new. Ive got lots to learn

8295023485_442ba2f59a.jpg








 
I see you`ve discovered selective colouring. Hopefully that gets it out of your system and you can carry on normaly from here on in. ;) Seriously, selective colouring is a technique that is not viewed with a lot respect by most of the photographic community because it tends to be either over-used, wrongly used, or, more often both. In this case your choice of subject to colour is, IMO, the right choice in that you want the eye drawn to the flower (which is what SC is meant to do), but I really don`t like feel that this makes for a strong image. You have spots of colour in a sea of insipid gray; if you were to crop the last image so that it only had one bloom, it would be a little better.

The other thing I notice about these images is that they almost all have distracting backgrounds; houses, telephone poles, etc. Try and shoot so that the background is free of these sorts of things.
 
That was just the contructive criticism I was looking for! Yeah I figured the selective color wouldnt really help my case haha. I had just always wanted to try photos like that and I finally had the chance too. I have some more photos that are all in color but I havnt taken them off my camera yet. I will post those once a get a chance. I get what you are saying about the background too I guess I didnt really notice how distracting it was. but now that youve pointed it out I see what you meen.
 
It's OK - I think most go through this at one point. I'm not a big fan of it, either, but I did one a few years go. I used oil paint on a silver print (film & darkroom). I'll agree that #3 would be improved by removing the partial flower in the upper-left. You could also fill in the rest of the petals so there wasn't any grey in them.
 
Third image is quite beautiful :D
Personally i like selective coloring; but i never practiced it
Others, as already have pointed out suffer from distracting foreground
Regards :D
 
Thanks for the feedack guys! I will make note of it all next time I am out taking photos!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom