Pinup Attempt - C&C Please!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a pinup style shoot with my friend, Kelsey, recently, and would love some feedback it. I've got two versions here (one with the extra bit of hair masked out because I wasn't sure which I preferred), but they're basically the same.

Kelsey Pinup - Daryll Morgan Studios-2.jpg Kelsey Pinup - Daryll Morgan Studios-1.jpg

Thanks!

Not bad; a perfect model for this sort of image. A couple of thoughts: (1) I'd like to see her looking at me; maybe have her hold the drink more toward the camera and look at the viewer over that? (2) She seems a bit "flashed"; I think your strobes could have been knocked down a half-stop.

Not bad; a perfect model for this sort of image. A couple of thoughts: (1) I'd like to see her looking at me; maybe have her hold the drink more toward the camera and look at the viewer over that? (2) She seems a bit "flashed"; I think your strobes could have been knocked down a half-stop.

I was going for the flat lighting look - low contrast. But maybe that didn't come across as well as I hoped.

The lighting is definitely low in contrast, but it's not that bad. My main complaint is the one that Ti. voiced above, that her line of gaze is not directed at the viewer.

The lighting is ok, but could be improved a bit by putting it at a slightly higher angle just so it gives her features a little more shape. I don't feel that the orange background really harmonizes with her or helps express the overall feeling of the shot, and fights with the model for attention. Perhaps a baby blue background would tie all of the small details together by harmonizing with her skin tones, the swimwear, the straw, and the cherry, and the contrast between the colors and her skin would make her pop out and have a more impactful presence in the shot. If she were wearing a green swimsuit and maybe had a mint milkshake it would work really well with the orange backdrop. I also feel that the shot lacks contrast, but would only really need a slight increase to give it the contrast it needs.

I think you made the right decision in editing the hair, and overall the exposure is good.

Low contrast was the point... for those who missed that.

Thanks for the feedback y’all.

As a child of the 50's we didn't have internet to satisfy our boyish curiosity, so the greats like Vargas, Moran, Frahm and Mozert, these were our glimpses of the secrets hidden within. I think I understand what you were going for, in that their early works had a certain softness to them, an almost dream like quality. I'm not sure I'd call it low contrast, Google Alberto Vargas and you'll see what I mean. One other thing is that they were masters of color schemes, they didn't always use white backgrounds but when they didn't you could bet everything was planned to enhance the image. In your image, I'm wondering if a change of background color might help. Lastly the pose, nothing finer than a long legged beauty in a Zoe Mozert painting, again she had such a take on HOW to pose the female form so that the sexuality jumped off the page, without being gaudy or crude. In your image it's slightly awkward, I'm betting she has nice legs, but you cut them off, and the way she is bent forward seems forced. Again from an old pinup fan, it's about the whole package that make them great.

That orange background isn't doing her any favors. I agree, the stance seems awkward; I couldn't help but wonder why she's looking down at that faux milkshake (maybe it's real but it looks too white to be vanilla).

And the hair... have the model bring comb/brush/mirror; when a woman moves, the hair moves and needs to periodically be combed/arranged. (When I was a kid they always gave us a comb, that's probably why! lol) Look at the bangs; they've fallen forward so there are odd spaces between the bangs and the rest of the hair, and wisps out of place; there's a section of hair that's over the ear that looks like it should be tucked behind the ear/under the hat. Take time to let her put on the hat and check her hair and style it (especially if she doesn't usually/often wear hats). She's cute as can be, but I see cute more than pinup.

I'd suggest getting more practice in actually seeing what's there; I feel like what I often see is that details are being missed and it's not all fixable after the fact. I would say it's not that you don't have good ideas but the execution sometimes seems to fall short. It would probably be beneficial to work on bringing up your skill level and figure out how to work styling more into the shoots.

Milkshake is real.

I didn't miss it, I was pointing it out as a drawback to your photograph. I never understand why you ask for feedback, because 99% of the time you respond to it with a level of disrespect and defensiveness. Just stop asking for it if you don't want to hear it.

As a child of the 50's we didn't have internet to satisfy our boyish curiosity, so the greats like Vargas, Moran, Frahm and Mozert, these were our glimpses of the secrets hidden within. I think I understand what you were going for, in that their early works had a certain softness to them, an almost dream like quality. I'm not sure I'd call it low contrast, Google Alberto Vargas and you'll see what I mean. One other thing is that they were masters of color schemes, they didn't always use white backgrounds but when they didn't you could bet everything was planned to enhance the image. In your image, I'm wondering if a change of background color might help. Lastly the pose, nothing finer than a long legged beauty in a Zoe Mozert painting, again she had such a take on HOW to pose the female form so that the sexuality jumped off the page, without being gaudy or crude. In your image it's slightly awkward, I'm betting she has nice legs, but you cut them off, and the way she is bent forward seems forced. Again from an old pinup fan, it's about the whole package that make them great.

Google search for Vargas Pinup + Swimwear. Link is NOT SAFE for Work!!!

NSFW Link:Vargas Girls and Pin up girls

I didn't miss it, I was pointing it out as a drawback to your photograph. I never understand why you ask for feedback, because 99% of the time you respond to it with a level of disrespect and defensiveness. Just stop asking for it if you don't want to hear it.

Not sure why you keep saying that. I don’t recall being disrespectful in this thread at all. Just wanted to make sure everyone understood the intentions of this photo. But if the way I respond to things offends you so much, feel free to block me and save us both some time.

Google search for Vargas Pinup + Swimwear. Link is NOT SAFE for Work!!!

Well duh, why do you think me and my teenage friends of that era found his work so fascinating? :biggrin-93:

Even before I knew Zoe Mozert was a woman I realized something different in her work. It was more real, more representative of the realistic woman and less idealistic. Oh and she also did some pretty faantastic NSFW work as well.:biggrin:

Not sure why you keep saying that. I don’t recall being disrespectful in this thread at all. Just wanted to make sure everyone understood the intentions of this photo. But if the way I respond to things offends you so much, feel free to block me and save us both some time.
I'm just letting you know how your words come across 99% of the time that you respond to criticism from your peers on this site, and it's clear I'm not the only one who shares that sentiment. It's your choice to take feedback in and reflect on it, or be defensive about it like you are most of the time whenever you receive feedback that you asked for. It's no sweat off my back and I have no reason to block you.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back