Plan for Mirrorless...?

Timppa

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Currently I am a Nikon D7500 (APS-C) user.
For a long time now, I have been thinking to go mirrorless, so I started comparing brands and lenses.
I made a list of all the Nikon Z, Canon R and Sony FE cameras and lenses and read reviews, compared prices, size, etc...

The idea behind it all is to get a smaller set in size and weight, full frame, no adapter and an electronic viewfinder.

After many hours I got myself a shortlist for every brand.
And I realized that due to the fact that Sony has a lot more choices (Tamron and Sigma lenses), this would definitely be the cheapest options and I could really build up the set that I want.
But Canon has that 800mm f11 lens that truly interests me for lightweight wildlife photography (I have a young child and one on the way, I will not be going out for serious wildlife shooting any day soon).
And I am a Nikon shooter atm, so taken a step to the Z range would be an easier one.

Soon I was getting frustrated that Sigma and Tamron don't have anything native yet to Z and R....
Luckily there is some Samyang and laowa!
But almost 3000eur for a native 24-70?? Pff, out of my league!

Then I started to compare and think with my own set that I have, that I actually really enjoy and am very happy with. There is not a single thing that I would still like at this moment, I kind of feel my set is complete (except a nice UWA for stars/northernlights).

And I realized... No... I just had some serious GAS!
I am happy with what I got, I don't need anything else.
Mirrorless, let's talk again in 3 years or so shall we? When Tamron and Sigma made the step towards you. And when the used market has more gear as well.

Reactions: ntz
haha, great conclusion about gas .. I have it too :p .. so no mirrorless for me now also .. but if I'd go mirrorless, I'd go for a Nikon Z-mount ..

haha, great conclusion about gas .. I have it too :p .. so no mirrorless for me now also .. but if I'd go mirrorless, I'd go for a Nikon Z-mount ..

^_^
Z because you already own Nikon? Or any other reason for it?

I even checked into M4/3, they got some excellent stuff too.
But I can't help but think this would be a step down and it makes me uncomfortable :p.

For example;
Olympus OMD EM1 III.
Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7
Olympus 40-150 f2.8
Olympus 300 f4 and a 1.4TC

Sounds prudent.

I got the R6 but not because it was mirrorless. I was very happy with the 6D Mark II but the R6 autofocus and IBIS along with its absolutely incredible low performance enabled me to get more out of the investment in glass. For one, it can focus at f 16.

I will say this. Today I was shooting at Arlington National Cemetery. On one side of the Blackrapid strap I had the trusty 6D Mark II and the other the R6. While the view finder in the 6D Mark II is "buttery" big and beautiful, the R6 has the advantage of exposure simulation. So on the R6 I have a really good sense that I got the shot without chimping afterwards. This is another aspect of mirrorless that is compelling.

Eventually you will go mirrorless: when the reasons make sense for you and what you shoot. It won't make you a better photographer but it may make your photography a little easier.

Sounds prudent.

I got the R6 but not because it was mirrorless. I was very happy with the 6D Mark II but the R6 autofocus and IBIS along with its absolutely incredible low performance enabled me to get more out of the investment in glass. For one, it can focus at f 16.

I will say this. Today I was shooting at Arlington National Cemetery. On one side of the Blackrapid strap I had the trusty 6D Mark II and the other the R6. While the view finder in the 6D Mark II is "buttery" big and beautiful, the R6 has the advantage of exposure simulation. So on the R6 I have a really good sense that I got the shot without chimping afterwards. This is another aspect of mirrorless that is compelling.

Eventually you will go mirrorless: when the reasons make sense for you and what you shoot. It won't make you a better photographer but it may make your photography a little easier.

I should have written;
I am happy with what I got.. At The Moment.
:)
I understand the advantages of mirrorless, and yes, one day I will most likely go there, but not right now.

Same thinking, conclusion and decision I reached for myself. Great minds think alike. I'll stay with my D850 / D500 combination and dozen and a half f mount lenses for now and don't feel disadvantaged at all.

Same thinking, conclusion and decision I reached for myself. Great minds think alike. I'll stay with my D850 / D500 combination and dozen and a half f mount lenses for now and don't feel disadvantaged at all.

actually D850 + D500 is the dreams set ;) ... I was always planing a body upgrade to used D810 and later and now to D850 .. but I've never executed the plan yet because in reality I know that the gear what I have now is better than myself .. I am 105% sure that D850 won't gimme better photos ..

also I started considering a load ... my current photography load is 11.5 kilograms with tripod .. I always thought that I'm strong as ox and +/- 3kg doesn't matter for me .. well, it does ... so me now considering mirrorless, I am also accounting the gear weight (omg, my old D5100 with kit 18-55mm + 55-200mm is so light package)

actually D850 + D500 is the dreams set ;) ... I was always planing a body upgrade to used D810 and later and now to D850 .. but I've never executed the plan yet because in reality I know that the gear what I have now is better than myself .. I am 105% sure that D850 won't gimme better photos ..

also I started considering a load ... my current photography load is 11.5 kilograms with tripod .. I always thought that I'm strong as ox and +/- 3kg doesn't matter for me .. well, it does ... so me now considering mirrorless, I am also accounting the gear weight (omg, my old D5100 with kit 18-55mm + 55-200mm is so light package)

For me the weight in general doesn't bother me, it's the size all the lenses combined take in my bag.... It doesn't fit :p.

For whom is interested, this is my current set that I said I am very happy with ATM:
Nikon D7500
Samyang 8mm fisheye
Nikon 10-20mm
Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 ART
Sigma 50mm f1.4 ART
Tamron 90mm Macro (F004)
Nikon 70-300mm AF-P FX
Nikon 200-500mm f5.6

Lighten the load, the best thing you will ever do......

One thing that I have noticed is that mirrorless isn't all that small.
Most of the lenses are as big or bigger.
Yeah, there are some small cameras and lenses (I have a Sony NEX-6 + 16-50mm) ... but almost anything in full frame is about the same size.

Lighten the load, the best thing you will ever do......

I'd subscribe under this at the point blank .. I have some mil background and my fitness is higher than average but I had to find this out hard way .. hiking outside with camera is not military march .. you're usually out there because you like to be out, for me the landscape photography is not only about act of making (and postprocessing) photos but that trip as whole, scouting, moving outside .. I didn't realize this until I've find out for myself, that it's much more enjoyable and refreshing to be hiking with less and lighter gear no matter how physically ready you are ...

Yes! For me too, D780 and D3500 works. Simply a matter, for me, of investment made over the years.

Reactions: ntz
Yes! For me too, D780 and D3500 works. Simply a matter, for me, of investment made over the years.

also worth to note how fantastically huge is the market with secondhand lenses for Nikon F-mount and how surprisingly tiny is the second hand market with Z-mount lenses so many years after introducing that ... I have literally **all** lenses second hand .. not doable with Z-mount for me now so mirrorless Nikon is still somewhere in my (wet) dreams also because of this ...

also worth to note how fantastically huge is the market with secondhand lenses for Nikon F-mount and how surprisingly tiny is the second hand market with Z-mount lenses so many years after introducing that ... I have literally **all** lenses second hand .. not doable with Z-mount for me now so mirrorless Nikon is still somewhere in my (wet) dreams also because of this ...

So true, I really am waiting till tamron and sigma hit the market for some cheaper 24-70 at least and then I wait even longer for used models!
I did hear the rumor that they should release some lenses this year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back