Platypus - Part 2 (picture heavy).

Terrier

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Being "semi retired" and living alongside Mountain River I have been studying the local Platypus (purely on an amateur basis) the last 6 months. I have become so accustomed to their movements that I am now attracting a bit of attention from interested local groups.

AA4.JPG

I was approached by a group to see if I could put them "onto a Pus" last Saturday morning. I gathered the group and explained that I could not guarantee a sighting but I would show them a few spots that would increase their chances. As luck would have it I locate one of the "girls" at the first spot.

I was asked just how I could spot her as originally we were all looking but none of them saw her in some timber. The secret is look for equidistant circular ripples on the surface, with practice you can differentiate between the ripples produced by a "Pus" and those of a Duck, Grebe or Coot.
A9.JPG

A Platypus does not eat under water, it locates worms, grubs or nymphs by touch using its sensitive 'Bill' and then surfaces to "chew" them, this produces the distinctive circular ripples.

IMG_0096-1.JPG

These are what I am looking for. The resident population in "my section" of the river approx. half a mile is two females and one dominant male, the females are approx. 18" long the male perhaps 22/23", he is much more elusive than the females, more often than not keeping in the heavily wooded or dense overhanging areas of the bank.

DSCN9893-1.JPG

This is the male, all the other pictures are of the two girls. Platypus are aquatic nesting in burrows in the riverbank often with entrances below the surface, however they will take short breaks on logs or on the bank and sometimes make brief transits through the shallow cataracts that connect the deeper pools of their territory. They do not like being exposed as this leaves them vulnerable to predators mainly large Falcons and the Sea Eagles who regularly patrol the river.

AA5.JPG

A7.JPG

AA1.JPG

Hope you enjoyed the "Platypus File".

Thanks for sharing. the photos and the info. Very interesting.

I have been going through my "Platypus of Mountain River" (Southern Tasmania Australia) saving some and deleting many, I hope you enjoy a few more pictures of these interesting little critters.
1.JPG

"G'day Duck"...…. "Errrr, G'day whatever you are?"

5.JPG

What goes down . . . . . .

26.JPG

. . . . . Must come up.

23.JPG

28.JPG

Last edited:
A couple more.

I can see you...……

9.JPG

"See ya later Duck"...…. "Yeah, catch ya later"

27.JPG

22.JPG

30.JPG

What a beautiful creature.

Terrier its great to see these photos and the story that goes with them and how you've are connecting with and able and willing to share what you know with others. A big part of wildlife, in my view, is not just enjoying it but responsibly passing that on to others as the more who learn the more who will enjoy and engage which only does good for helping promote wildlife importance.

Also reading your comments it sounds like you've been studying this little group of yours fairly well. Are you documenting your sightings and details down in a journal? It would be a great read to hear the ins and outs of platypus struggles and life as you observe them, even just the sightings of them. If you read into them and talk to other experts there might even be ways that you can in person/on photos more reliably distinguish individuals to aid you in keeping track of specific ones to aid keeping an accurate record.

Lovely stuff. I must confess, when I saw the thread title "Platypus" I thought it was referring to the portable camera stand/tripod (which I have one of) and was pleasantly surprised to see your nice collection of wildlife photos. Keep it up and don't stop sharing.

A great set of images, use to love seeing them when we lived in Australia. Also great bit of info too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back