Play Ball! (set)

guitarmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's a few I shot on the weekend. Critique away, if you wish!

685150236_fd03ac78dc.jpg

685150308_23584e7bb1.jpg

685150262_93ad0bc318.jpg

685150220_e4aa6c7684.jpg

685150160_2d939565ed.jpg

Thanks!

that last one belongs in a magazine. good job man

Thanks guys! I was pretty happy with how they turned out.

The first 4 are pretty good...although 1, 3, and 4 looks a bit to 'studioish' for the subject matter.

I really love the last one though...top notch.

nice work, what lighting jazz are you using in 1,3,and 5?

the color in the first one looks off on his skin on my monitor, but right on in the rest.

i really like 2 and 5, the others look like studio shots

i find it interesting that people are attributing well controlled light with to studio shots. or that studio shots are bad . . . not something i understand, but would like to here more about.

I don't think it's a bad thing that they look like studio shots...it's just different and maybe a little wired feeling. #1 and #4, for example, they look to be taken outdoors but the main light source is clearly an artificial source off camera. In my mind, outdoor baseball shots and artificial light doesn't feel normal...not bad...just not normal.

I can certainly appreciate the technical and artistic skill involved. I'm sure he was going for something 'different' here and I think that's what he got.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The goal of this was to practice using off-camera flash outdoors (working with ambient light and such). The 'studio' comments make sense, as it is pretty obvious I was using artificial light. I wasn't necessarily going for the all-natural look - moreso looking to create commercial-style photos. Plus, if I can use artificial light, chances are I will. I love it and love the challenge.

For all the shots I was using some combination of a bare-bulb SB-600 flash, an SB-28 into an umbrella, and a gold reflector.

Most reactions

Back