Played with a D90 and no longer feel like taking pics

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Because it was so much nicer than my D70s.

Played with a D90 at the store a week or two ago and one thing (well 2 actually) made me a sad panda when I went back to my car and looked through my D70s.

1. Viewfinder. Holy Moly is that a huge difference. The D90 was like the difference of my 52" big screen in the living room versus the 19" in the bedroom. Not actually that big but it felt like it. Also it seemed much brighter. I never would have even thought this would be a factor, but honestly close to if not THE biggest convenience for me.

2. LCD Screen is as big or bigger difference than the Viewfinder. I'd actually be able to see if I missed focus or properly exposed on the D90's screen versus mine that I try to get it "close" cause it's hard to see really well on the smaller screen. Also RGB histogram would be nice.

3. Then of course there's the huge list of other features I would use like high iso ability (my D70s is horrible....even ISO 800 is really grainy). Then the more af points for large apertures/small dof. Ability to get a grip (huge for me since I shoot portriat orientation a lot. etc.....

So, going back to my D70s was like test driving a new porsche cayman S and driving home in my honda civic. It probably didn't help that I had the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 on the D90 when playing with it. Luckily I'll be getting the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in about a week or two and hopefully a D90 when I get tax money in a few weeks (hopefully with MB-D80 Grip).

Anyway, I rarely hear reviews showing what I found to be the biggest differences in the D90 versus some of the older stuff like the D70(s) so thought I would share.

I felt the same way when I furstused a 30D instead of my Rebel XT a while back. I felt so un-inspired. Now that I'm shooting with the 20D and a few good lenses, I am happier. It'll pass when you either A) get the better gear, or B) just go out shooting somehting you love.

That's why you shouldn't be foolish.. The same reason, when I raced 600 Super Sport, I wouldn't ride my buddy's Ninja 1100.. I didn't want to hate my bike.. Just do what you do and do it well. .

Because it was so much nicer than my D70s...
I hear ya! The D70 is nice... but... I'd sure love a D90. I picked one up for about 1 minute and had to put it down (but it got me closer to thinking harder about buying one...). :)

The D90 is nice, but so is the D70s. Obviously, I prefer the D90. I just don't think its worth the extra money. The only thing that I dislike on my D70s is the ISO performance and the screen. IMO, my money would be better spent on a lens. I don't shoot fast moving objects too much, so the ISO is rarely needed. The smaller screen helps me improve, because I need to learn to focus correctly the first time and not rely on the screen.

Also, I have acceptable noise levels even when cranked up to 1250 with no noise reduction. If I'm printing large, then I may need reduction, but so far the only unacceptable noise comes at 1600.

I used to shoot mainly on a D70 and now shoot with a D700. 90% of my flickr page is from my D70, all but the most recent 2 or 3 pages.

Although the D700 is my main camera, It can't do 1/500th of a second flash sync at full power, the D70 can. I still use it when I need fast sync, and believe it or not, it's got better low-light performance then you think. It's ISO might only go up to 1600, but it's 1600 is cleaner then a D80's or D200's.

IMO i'd rather look at a used D200 then a D90, the ergonomics, build, and speed are much better. I'd give up a 3 inch screen and the 12mp sensor for that. even more so when shooting RAW...ESPECIALLY when shooting RAW.

Maybe I just have too high of standards when it comes to high ISO performance cause I'm less than pleased with photos at ISO 800 on my D70s.

I take my SB-600 with me everywhere pretty much since indoors it's hard to shoot at ISO 200 with no extra light....even at f1.8. With the D90, the ISO would be good enough that I could probably use it at 800 and be happy and not have to lug around the SB-600 all the time....that would be nice.

Here's my D70s at ISO800 which I was less than happy with.
p908186494-4.jpg

Again I"m probably being too picky sense these looked fine at 4x6 print, but they are pretty grainy still I think (and if I remember right, I used a small amount of NR in NX).

Edit: Sorry, that was ISO 1000 so maybe I'm being too picky. Point is, I would get good use out of the higher iso abilities of the D90 and that's not even what appeals me the most.

Forgot to mention that the higher megapixel would also be nice since I'll often crop my macros and with the D90 I could do a little more crop while still being able to print large (I actually print large a good bit from 11x14 up to 16x24 and maybe bigger in the future).

Last edited:
I hear ya on the higher ISO pickyness. When I switched to the D300 from the D70, it was like night and day. Now I shoot ISO1600 routinely. Very nice to have the extra capability.

I hear ya! The D70 is nice... but... I'd sure love a D90. I picked one up for about 1 minute and had to put it down (but it got me closer to thinking harder about buying one...). :)

How NOT surprising... I'm literally holding myself from getting my hands on a D90, I can imagine the agony of playing with it and then not buying one.
Still have a D70, when I look at it rationally, no reason to switch, so why look at the D90.
BTW - spec wise, the only thing I would like to have is the nicer, 3" LCD screen, except for that, what?
Ciao
(see some D90 reviews here)

How NOT surprising... I'm literally holding myself from getting my hands on a D90, I can imagine the agony of playing with it and then not buying one.
Still have a D70, when I look at it rationally, no reason to switch, so why look at the D90.
BTW - spec wise, the only thing I would like to have is the nicer, 3" LCD screen, except for that, what?
Ciao
(see some D90 reviews here)

Higher clean ISO, more AF points, availibility of a Grip, Active Dlighting, Video... Just to name a few.

Yeah when looking through a new camera, your old one will look tainted. That is why I only read reviews and dont touch another camera till Im ready to buy it.

I had similar problems when I got my F100. It's a film camera sure, but the viewfinder made me hate my d70 finder. The control buttons and switches on the F100 made me hate the d70 even more. So I bought a used D200, which basically feels almost exactly like the F100 in use.

How do you all think I feel when I'm at the Big Box stores and I pick up any of the dSLRs on display and play, then go home to my little tiny Fuji.....

I'd probably be more than happy with max ISO on any of the cameras mentioned thus far compared to ISO100 on mine. You guys are way too picky, LOL.

How do you all think I feel when I'm at the Big Box stores and I pick up any of the dSLRs on display and play, then go home to my little tiny Fuji.....

I'd probably be more than happy with max ISO on any of the cameras mentioned thus far compared to ISO100 on mine. You guys are way too picky, LOL.

I was in the same boat awhile back with my Canon A620 before upgrading to the D40 (and quickly trading for the D70s). I'll agree, that about any DSLR is a world step up from most Point and Shoot. However, as time passes, you will learn and hit the limitations of certain DSLR's that you didn't think about before. Also it's all about prespective. Your Point and Shoot would seem like a huge step for someone used to shooting a cheapy film camera or disposable cameras.

Yeah when looking through a new camera, your old one will look tainted. That is why I only read reviews and dont touch another camera till Im ready to buy it.

Yeah, well I learned that lesson the hard way and it's costing me $860 (well actually closer to $460ish since I'll sell my D70s), but still, I've learned my lesson on that. I didn't thing it would be that big of a difference. Plus, I've been tossing the idea around for awhile of upgrading with some of the tax refund money we're getting.....playing with it in the store kind of sealed the deal though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back