Playing Around with Long Exposures

pugnacious33

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
soundinsights.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All these were shot at ISO 100 for 30 seconds at 10mm. This new lens is really something, but composition can be a challenge when you're able to get so much in the frame. To put it in perspective for you (pun intended), my tripod was set up less than 30 feet from the bridge in that last shot.

Another issue is that, even though the horizons are level, the extreme angle seems to make the picture look a bit tilted, especially with the bridge screaming out of the frame in the upper left. I'm considering rotating a bit til eliminate that effect.

The annoying part of this shot is that the first set of bridge lights were out, and though I cropped just a bit to deal with it, each shot would be much improved with the extra reflection. Oh well, i'll reshoot and post the results, even if I have to change the bulbs myself. :)

IMG_7873.jpg

Untitled-11.jpg

IMG_7870.jpg

Last edited:
I like the wide view across the water. It seems like there was a big reflection though off the water of the closest light on the bridge. My eye kept going back to it. I don't know if maybe you had photoshopped the last image there.

What a lovely location! I think I'd be attracted to that very long bridge (!) over and again! It looks just TOO good not to be photographed. Offers you such natural vanishing point, and so much repetition in the lights, which themselves repeat their reflections on the water. Marvellous subject.
My question: could some spray have ended on your lens and you had tiny droplets sitting there, difracting the light? I'm wondering about the effect on the nearest street light which becomes most apparent in the last photo ... or did you shoot through a filter or a stocking?

Yeah there were several things going against me here, the wind was blowing spray all over the place and the exaggeration on that first light comes from the fact that I was shooting at 10mm so I was wayyy closer to it that it seems just by looking at the photo. The weather went south the next morning and I haven't had any good light to deal with but i'll be back so stay tuned for more. My intent is to recreate the first shot, maybe at around 14mm, cropping out the first part of the bridge if that light is still not working. Hopefully I can do it at low tide so I can move out about 100 feet. This is when photography gets fun, the hunt is on. :)

You're right, though, I try and photograph it every time I pass, and do so when the light is right. Here is one I took as the weather started going bad:

IMG_7898.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back