Playing with a manual Speedlight

cardinals1970

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up a YN460-II for like $40.00 until I can afford a better speedlight. Basically I just wanted to see the difference it would make in my photos and I have to say I can tell a difference but it is also going to take time learning how to adjust how much power I need in different situations. Anyway here are some I did yesterday to test it out for the first time. C&C is always welcome :D

1. This one I know I blewout the sky but it was a overcast day so not much was happening sky wise anyway

100.jpg

099.jpg

095.jpg

They all look under exposed (on the laptop). Boost the power a bit on the flash and you should get a better looking sky and a correctly exposed image. Try this... 1 use your camera in manual mode and meter off of the sky. Once you get the sky correct then adjust your flash to expose the subject properly. A little trial and error and you should end up with a nice image.

~Jason

They all look under exposed (on the laptop). Boost the power a bit on the flash and you should get a better looking sky and a correctly exposed image. Try this... 1 use your camera in manual mode and meter off of the sky. Once you get the sky correct then adjust your flash to expose the subject properly. A little trial and error and you should end up with a nice image.

~Jason

Hum, I thought I over exposed so I guess I went to far trying to add a little color to the shots in post and actually under exposed them. Here is #2 without any post done at all

098.jpg

I do not think they look under-exposed.

If you visit Strobist: Lighting 101 you will find a bunch of information about doing Off Camera Flash (OCF) which provides much more artistic lighting than having the strobe light (flash) mounted on the camera.

Off camera light provides shadow modeling of the facial mask giving it a more 3-D look.

If you visit Strobist: Lighting 101 you will find a bunch of information about doing Off Camera Flash (OCF) which provides much more artistic lighting than having the strobe light (flash) mounted on the camera.

Off camera light provides shadow modeling of the facial mask giving it a more 3-D look.

I hadn't really thought about doing off camera flash yet, I figured I need to get on camera flash down first but I will take a look at your link after work tonight.

I hadn't really thought about doing off camera flash yet, I figured I need to get on camera flash down first but I will take a look at your link after work tonight.

You will enjoy it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back