Playing with analog photography

Boobo-oobo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
About 6 months ago i bought a CanonG10, and fell in love with photography. And in that same time, found an old analog camera. So i gave it a clean, bought a film and gave it a test. Well the first photos werent all that good, but what i liked about them is the feel that they have. Its different that taking photos with an digital camera. This takes more effort. So, long story short, are these photos any good?

I didnt do any PS manipulation, apart from croping.
This is the camera and the lenses.
Revue_ML_lenses_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

Kuchica_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

Autumn_streets_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

X_marks_the_spot_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

Floating_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

Sky_by_Boobo_oobo.jpg

I'll skip#1 since that's not from your film camera anyway.

#2 could have used a CPL filter to saturate the colors a little more and remove the glare off the leaves on the left hand side. Also would have been nice to see a little more of the gazebo or whatever that building is. Otherwise, nice shot.

#3 doesn't do anything for me and the cut-off shoe is distracting - not sure if was planned as part of the pic and if so, for what reason?

#4 I see what you were going for here, but I think the focused subject is just not enough for this photo. If there were something else you could have used as a foreground subject, I think this would have worked better.

#5 Either the focus is off or the subject is blurred. I would have moved a little closer to fill the frame a little more with the subject, but you possibly could have already been at closest focus, hence the blur. The bright highlights in the background on the top right are distracting. If the entire background would have been the blurred dark green, it would have accentuated the subject much more.

#6 too much open dead space, horizon too low, could use more saturation, and too much vignetting (not your fault, but could have been corrected at least a little in PP after scanning your negs).

I know what you mean about appreciating the extra work it takes to get a shot. And how about no instant gratification? All the way home you have no idea if you got a shot or not!!! Having been through all that I appreciate DSLRs that much more.

4 hurts my head. I just keep looking at the center of the photo which is OOF and the in focus part is so far in the corner you barely see it and the eye is not drawn there. Maybe more of the tree next time or focus on the main scene. GL
TJ

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Every 'digital' camera has an analog image sensor in it.

I know what you mean about appreciating the extra work it takes to get a shot. And how about no instant gratification? All the way home you have no idea if you got a shot or not!!! Having been through all that I appreciate DSLRs that much more.

Well, i do this photography for fun. I like the fact that its all a gamble i gues. And thats what i love in all of that. And the reason i dont do any PS to them, is cause i think that would take all of the essence of the photos. For everything else i have my G10.

And thanks for the comments, appreciate it.

4 hurts my head. I just keep looking at the center of the photo which is OOF and the in focus part is so far in the corner you barely see it and the eye is not drawn there. Maybe more of the tree next time or focus on the main scene. GL
TJ

Yeah, i know what you mean. I had a differnt idea in my head of how it should look like, but hey . . . :)
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Every 'digital' camera has an analog image sensor in it.

:thumbup:

since it was a camera and lens test - GREAT JOB.
Its different that taking photos with an digital camera. This takes more effort.
Go explain that to average joe who buys him self 5d with 24-70 or d700 with 24-70 and call him self a "professional photographer".
On behalf of FREAKS (like me), thank you for appreciating this art and doing it classically. I miss Bronika :(

And the reason i dont do any PS to them, is cause i think that would take all of the essence of the photos.
Photographers have been pre and post processing images since photography was invented. Much of what can be done with Photoshop was done 10's of decades ago in darkrooms.

With film a lot of it was pre-processing, done before the shutter was released with filters on the lens, using different films, and other techniques.

Photography is an art form and the essence of an image can be strengthened a great deal with PS. However, even more powerful is doing most of the essence strengthening before the shutter gets released.

Photography is an art form and the essence of an image can be strengthened a great deal with PS. However, even more powerful is doing most of the essence strengthening before the shutter gets released.

Thats what i'm trying to do. Practise makes perfect.

Most reactions

Back