Playing with DOF a bit.

Alan92RTTT

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.3sgto.org
I posted this in another section and did not get any comments(maybe just for fun was not the place for a comment ;))

Impressions on the DOF for this?(you might have to view full size to see the DOF)
4399742186_99e57782a2_b.jpg

I wish that both of the cats where if focus.

I think it's good. Otherwise that paw would get all the attention. I might shoot a little to the right if possible for less emphasis on the paw. But, you didn't ask about that, so yes, the DOF is good in this image.

I wish that both of the cats where if focus.

I wanted the paw out of focus. That forced the second kitten to be out of focus.

I might shoot a little to the right if possible for less emphasis on the paw.
Moving to the right would have left me with more arm of the chair. I'll play with cropping it to see if that helps.

Hum or maybe load CS5 and see what content aware fill could do ;)

Ugh, I run into this issue all the time. It's almost impossible to take nice pictures of black cats. You need a serious lighting setup to get some detail in the black cat's face or any body part.

In general it will help to use some sort of bounce card and additional light. Ambient lighting will not produce nice kittie images. Of course the cat will look adorable but the picture will be only ordinary.

If you have an off camera flash you can work wonders.

Like is not the issue with the black one. The black one is really just background.

The intent was to have the for most white paw out of focus, that kittens head in focus(ie the real subject) and everything else out of focus(ie background)

...The intent was to have the for most white paw out of focus, that kittens head in focus(ie the real subject) and everything else out of focus(ie background)

I think you achieved that. Move in a little closer if your lens allows to get a tighter shot. Too much negative space IMO.

Well, I mean specifically the upholstered back on the very right in the image. That's distracting me. I'd move the whole frame more to the left.

Also the position of the sleeping kitties is a bit awkward. If they'd slept on a flat furface sticking out one paw it would have looked more natural.

I might shoot a little to the right if possible for less emphasis on the paw.

I'd move the whole frame more to the left.

One vote for left one for right I think I'll stick with the middle ;)

Also the position of the sleeping kitties is a bit awkward. If they'd slept on a flat furface sticking out one paw it would have looked more natural.

Kittens sleeping is unnatural as it is.;) You take the what you given :D
(No C&C on this its a cell phone shot)
4520220770_206b1d3d02_o.jpg

Photography is very subjective...

Here for the sake of it regarding DOF and some of my kittens:

01_kittie.jpg

01_kittie1.jpg

01_kittie2.jpg

Stray, pregnant one year old walked into our apartment one day and had her babies there as well. She would have had the babies during hurricane Katrina so she figured it's safer to have them indoors ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back