What's new

Playing with Flashes - Tree at night

runnah

Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Oct 16, 2012
Messages
14,632
Reaction score
7,563
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First attempt at using 2 flashes in command mode. Came out decent could have been sharper. Any tips?


$nighttree1.webp
#1 Standard WB

$nighttree3.webp
#2. Cooler White balance

$nighttree2.webp
#3 Wish this was sharper, colored gel on one flash.

$nighttree4.webp
#4 cooled off WB
 
Pictures like this, with very little colors, beg to me to be in black and white.

Note your snow -- snow should be white not blue or orange. Your whitebalance is off in most the shots.

Furthermore, WHY a flash outdoors? You gotta think through your photos more
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #3
Pictures like this, with very little colors, beg to me to be in black and white.

Note your snow -- snow should be white not blue or orange. Your whitebalance is off in most the shots.

Furthermore, WHY a flash outdoors? You gotta think through your photos more

Snow was colored on purpose and I used gels.

I used a flash outdoor so I can gain a better understanding of using multiple off camera flashes. Since I don't have a studio or models a tree in my front yard was the best I could do. I literally figured out the commander system on my camera 2 hrs before.
 
Pictures like this, with very little colors, beg to me to be in black and white.

Note your snow -- snow should be white not blue or orange. Your whitebalance is off in most the shots.

Furthermore, WHY a flash outdoors? You gotta think through your photos more

IMO colours can be very subtle and be a great improvement on B&W, the world can be a very subtle place.

In answer to why use a flash outdoors - no flash, no light, no image, no good.



runnah, keep doing what you are doing (I like the std WB in #1 and the quirky warmth of the orange gel coloured #3 - but I'm not personally a fan of blue snow)
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
Thanks for the helpful feedback rob.
 
Did you take any pictures with just one flash (the one lighting up the tree from inside)? I thought having the tree lit only from within and not the side would make it eery and give some meaning to the shots. Looks like you just did it as a technical exercise though.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
Did you take any pictures with just one flash (the one lighting up the tree from inside)? I thought having the tree lit only from within and not the side would make it eery and give some meaning to the shots. Looks like you just did it as a technical exercise though.

I did actually have a few examples like that where the second flash didn't fire. I will post one.

but you are right. I was trying to primarily understand the technical aspects of multiple flashes.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom