Playing with silhouettes C&C

TimmyJP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

Last weekend I met up with a friend to experiment with a few ideas she'd had for her college art project.

The models are the two of us, we did our best with the self-timer; focussing was slightly interesting!

Any and all criticism is very much appreciated. There are a few ideas I'd like to try again; actually behind the camera rather than running backwards and forwards between it, so any tips would be very useful.

LonelyHeartscopy.jpg

Silhouettecopy-1.jpg

FilmNoircopy.jpg

And finally, just a bit of fun, rather than a silhouette
Heartscopy.jpg

Thanks in advance for any criticism and comments!

Timmy

This was HER idea?? SCORE! :thumbup:

Haha! It's something we'd been discussing for a while...I did a fair amount of manipulation of some of her images in the past, and they were more revealing than this so this wasn't so bad!

Any comments?

I find photo #3 to be very captivating. A very good job. The first 2 I would like to see a little lighter or the light source moved.

All in all :thumbup:

on edit.

Timmy, stay in front of the camera also. The two of you work well together.

I find photo #3 to be very captivating. A very good job. The first 2 I would like to see a little lighter or the light source moved.

All in all :thumbup:

on edit.

Timmy, stay in front of the camera also. The two of you work well together.

Thanks a lot for the comments, much appreciated.

I shall see what I can do with the original images for the first two, and see if I can lighten them up slightly; not sure though, as I didn't do much editing beyond converting to black and white and a tiny bit of curves.

I can't say I'm the most comfortable model out there...but I do tend to do a lot of self-portraits as I'm often the only model I can get. Unfortunately I'm moving away this week so won't be able to have another shoot with her until Christmas! Will definitely try and arrange one then!

Thanks again,

Timmy

I agree with the others, #3 is the strongest of the lot - it has a sense of emotion and tension, and the slight warm tone works very well with that feeling. The outline of your faces is a very strong element, pulling my eye immediately to that part of the image, as is the inclusion of a bit of her hair. The inclusion of some, but not all, of the rest of your bodies works very well too, suggesting only, leaving us to imagine the rest. To my eye, and this is obviously just an opinion and nothing more, a centered image might have more impact.

- Randy

Agree that #3 is the strongest of the bunch, #2 has a lot of edge detail that can be pulled out by adding a couple of duplicate layers with the blending mode set to Screen. Then add a layer mask to the top layer and hit it with a fairly strong surface blur, go back and paint out the mask where the edge detail is and it will lok pretty nice.

Like everyone else number 3 is the best out of them. The second one is just too dark, I think there is room still to be made on all three with the lighting. You want to keep the dark look like in number 3, but still you need to have the sections of the body connect. Right now 1 and 2 seem to go to much into the shadows. Great color though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back