Playing with some OCF

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't often use off camera flash, but lately I've been inspired by some photos that I've seen with some really interesting lighting and I wanted to try a few things. I just got one of my roommates and had him play around for a few minutes while I took some practice shots. I like this one the most of them and feel like I was somewhat close, or at least getting closer to the results I wanted.
I have the light inside a room to camera right and bounced it off the wall opposite to my roommate.

mg_0144_by_danostergren-d6g4oob.jpg

I think a cut of CTO on the speedlight would have helped here Dan, the two different colours of light stand out a bit. Even though the face itself is a bit shadowed, I could see this light working for certain situations; keep experimenting!

I'm trying to figure out the reflection of his leg, what is it reflected on? I can't figure it out. :scratch:

Other than that and what John said I quite like it. :D

I find light like this to be problematic because it's confusing. We can clearly see the lamp, and yet the model is equally clearly lit from and by something else.

This is certainly an effect, but I think it produces some confusion in the viewer's mind, and I find it unsettling and uncomfortable. See also flash-lit swimsuit models in front of sunsets and various other ugly idioms.

Many rooms are lit by more than one lamp, but how many people have pants with only one leg?

I think I understand what you were trying to accomplish. It feels very editorial-ish.

However, from the photo itself, I don't think this lighting for this particular scenario (in my opinion) because the subject is looking at us - wanting us to engage with him, but the lighting seems to be trying to pull us toward something over to the left.

I'm trying to figure out the reflection of his leg, what is it reflected on?
Glass/plexi-topped table?

Ahhhh! That's what I was thinking it had to be but now I can see it for what it is. Where I would have expected to see a table leg there's a solid thing that appears black. LOL!! The angles had me. Just one of those vision tricks, once you see it it's obvious. :D

I think a cut of CTO on the speedlight would have helped here Dan, the two different colours of light stand out a bit. Even though the face itself is a bit shadowed, I could see this light working for certain situations; keep experimenting!
I definitely agree that the CTO gel would make a huge improvement and set me in the direction I was looking for. The problem is finding cheap shipping to AK on gels that I want. I have a friend who flies to Sitka regularly though and they have a camera shop I believe. Perhaps I can send him with some cash and a shopping list...

... I like this one the most of them and feel like I was somewhat close, or at least getting closer to the results I wanted.
What is it about this photo that you like over the others? How much closer to your results / vision would you want to be?

If the lamp was intended to be your Main light and the OCF to be your Accent, then you've missed the mark slightly. IMO the OCF is too intense and too far camera right. While he might have a cute nose, it is not nor should it be the main emphasis.
Jimmy Durante literally kicked the bucket in the film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. You have pools of nothingness in front of and behind his left forearm where there should be some ever-so-slight detail. Bring your OCF closer to camera side and diffuse it in some manner. A second flash (if available) set behind your friend's head aimed and illuminated just enough to kiss some of the detail in the right edge of the frame would work wonders.

It takes time and focused practice to get it right. You have a good eye already, so keep at it.

Thanks for sharing.

... I like this one the most of them and feel like I was somewhat close, or at least getting closer to the results I wanted.
What is it about this photo that you like over the others? How much closer to your results / vision would you want to be?

If the lamp was intended to be your Main light and the OCF to be your Accent, then you've missed the mark slightly. IMO the OCF is too intense and too far camera right. While he might have a cute nose, it is not nor should it be the main emphasis.
Jimmy Durante literally kicked the bucket in the film It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. You have pools of nothingness in front of and behind his left forearm where there should be some ever-so-slight detail. Bring your OCF closer to camera side and diffuse it in some manner. A second flash (if available) set behind your friend's head aimed and illuminated just enough to kiss some of the detail in the right edge of the frame would work wonders.

It takes time and focused practice to get it right. You have a good eye already, so keep at it.

Thanks for sharing.
What stood out to me in this shot was the mood that I feel was created by the lighting. The lamp was not intended to be the main light, but simply an accent to the mood. In hindsight I really agree with you that the OCF light was too intense, and as was already stated I feel that a CTO gel over the OCF would have gotten me closer to the light I was trying to get. I also agree that the nose is a big distraction. I like that his face is in shadow in this shot as it is an effect that I like, and having him turn his chin away from me and perhaps look elsewhere rather than into the camera would have gotten better results. As for lighting that is available, I prefer to keep things simple and work with just the one strobe that I own. I used to use multiple strobes for almost every shot I took, but to me it was just too much. I like subtleties and prefer to keep it simple. My tastes are always changing though, and lately OCF has been catching my attention more. I definitely need more practice with it though.

I definitely agree that the CTO gel would make a huge improvement and set me in the direction I was looking for. The problem is finding cheap shipping to AK on gels that I want. I have a friend who flies to Sitka regularly though and they have a camera shop I believe. Perhaps I can send him with some cash and a shopping list...
Try these guys. I deal with them a LOT and their shipping to Canada is very reasonable (I assume to AK would be similar), fast service, and lots of cool s*...tuff. Bear in mind, you get what you pay for, but I must have a half-dozen of their speedlight gel kits by now, and they're just fine.

Most reactions

Back