Playing with the raw format and going nuts

questor886

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Starting to pre pack befre my long trek back to Texas from Florida and while taking a break I got curious about my snack and the raw format on my nikon.

nutscopy.jpg

The brown (strong yellow, mixed with a little red) has over taken your camera and produced a wonderful yellow color cast. If you edited this in Photoshop after your cameras RAW-conversion, hit it with a basic "color correction" and see what happens.

you know I tried that and was not impressed with the results at all.

nuts2.jpg

Well, its not really about being impressed, so much as getting results that are actually "true".

peanutsow3.jpg

This is what I got punching it up in Photoshop, removing the yellow cast, and increasing the richness of the individual colors. Looks like you already sharpened but I sharpened again to give you an idea on what simple steps in LAB colorspace can help you achieve.

I do see what you mean... This is why I do like this forum, learn something new every day.
Thanks.

Is your second conversion closer to the actual real life nuts? I bet it is. As for not liking it... that's the beauty of RAW... just keep messing with it.

I have to disagree with ANDS! though, unless the Nikon RAW conversion is different than the Canon, why would you get it close in RAW converter then bring it into Photoshop to further adjust? I'm not saying I never do further adjustments in PS after the conversion but this seems like an issue that would be better "fixed" in the converter than PS? Just my opinion.

And back tot he Nikon vs Canon issue... with my Canon RAW files I just open them in PS's RAW converter and go from there. It sounds like with the Nikon there's a step between the camera's RAW file and getting it into PS. Is that the case, or am I confused?

Well, its not really about being impressed, so much as getting results that are actually "true".

peanutsow3.jpg

This is what I got punching it up in Photoshop, removing the yellow cast, and increasing the richness of the individual colors. Looks like you already sharpened but I sharpened again to give you an idea on what simple steps in LAB colorspace can help you achieve.
ANDS!, Tell me a little about working with LAB. I've never messed with it. What's the benefits of making adjustments in LAB vs RGB?

Is your second conversion closer to the actual real life nuts? I bet it is. As for not liking it... that's the beauty of RAW... just keep messing with it.

I have to disagree with ANDS! though, unless the Nikon RAW conversion is different than the Canon, why would you get it close in RAW converter then bring it into Photoshop to further adjust? I'm not saying I never do further adjustments in PS after the conversion but this seems like an issue that would be better "fixed" in the converter than PS? Just my opinion.

And back tot he Nikon vs Canon issue... with my Canon RAW files I just open them in PS's RAW converter and go from there. It sounds like with the Nikon there's a step between the camera's RAW file and getting it into PS. Is that the case, or am I confused?
Yeah the second was much closer to reality, I made the raw file a bit warmer in PSE7. Something about the warmer color appealed to me.
Here is the straight conversion from nef to jpg no changes. No extra steps, I can either do the conversion on my camera or import onto my laptop and straight in with Elements.
nutsraw.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back