Please Advise: Tripod

ifi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking for a tripod legs + head for a while, saw an email from Adorama yesterday and was wondering if any of their advertised tripod is a good buy. I will not use it very often. Here is the criteria: I am 6' and need a tripod to hold Canon 7d + 580EX II + 70-200 2.8 IS II.

Manfrotto Rebates

I just bought my first tripod. I went with the recommendation from Ace Photo for my budget constraints and my kit. D90,24-70, sb600. Not quite as heavy as your kit I think, but I feel confident what i bought will handle even a D700.
It's the Manfrotto 055xprob and 498rc2 head.
I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems easy enough to set up and take basic pictures with, seems solid too.
I'm sure it will serve me well as I grow into tripod use more and more.

Thanks for the response.
The legs can hold 15lbs and the head 17lbs. Was there a specific reason to select this head?

If you are on a budget, consider used. Tripods and heads are one of those things that just simply don't break down often (assuming they were not abused). I would recommend sticking to either Gitzo (pricey) or Manfrotto/Bogen. Their designs are incremental not revolutionary so you might not be missing much with older designs.

Whatever you do, make sure that both the head and legs are rated for the 7D + 70-200f/2.8L IS and then some. The last thing you need is to overload the tripod and end up with a broken camera + lens.

You can search on ebay for the older Bogen 3001, 3021 "pro" series tripod legs. As for the head, I much like having a hydrostatic or head with some sort of tension adjustment but they tend to be a bit more pricey. My most used tripod for heavier stuff is a fairly dated Bogen 3021 + 3 way pan head... for a whopping $35 bucks at a swap.

If you are on a budget, consider used.
Thanks for the response. I am not really on a budget but I will check out eBay.

Thanks for the response.
The legs can hold 15lbs and the head 17lbs. Was there a specific reason to select this head?

Nope. It's the head that was recommended by the shop. I got so flustered with all the options and research, I just decided to go for their recommendation. They seem to know a helluva lot more than I do, so .... :)

I was wondering if anyone else would like to comment on any of these tripods: Manfrotto Rebates

You want a tripod and head combo that will get the viewfinder up to slightly below your eye level without having to raise the center column (for you legs about 160cm tall before the centrer column is raised).

For stability's sake you only want 3 section legs and you want the legs made of large diameter tubes (30 mm or more).

You want a weight hook and a weight rating at least 2 times more than the heaviest camera/lens combo you think you will ever put on the tripod.

I recommend Giottos tripods and heads. I prefer 3-way pan/tilt heads myself. GIOTTO'S-Professional Photographic Equipment

Look at the MT line, in particular the MT 9371 should be tall enough for you.

Take a look at a Giottos (or gitzo for that matter) tripod at a local camera shop. A core design difference with regards to Manfrotto/Bogen are the leg locking mechanisms. Giottos and some other brands have the twist style locks while Manfrotto/Bogen adopted (recent versions) have latches. Some photographers like one or the other.

Yep, I'm a twist lock fan, but Giottos has both depending on the line.

I've seen to many lever type locks fail at the worst possible times over the years.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response.

Nope. It's the head that was recommended by the shop. I got so flustered with all the options and research, I just decided to go for their recommendation. They seem to know a helluva lot more than I do, so .... :)

Edit: Saw some online reviews that answered my questions.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back