Please C & C my first photo

True_Shot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So yeah, this is my first photo on my Canon T2i... I just need some general C&C to start me off in the right direction (like lighting, composition, etc.). Thanks :)

IMG_0167.jpg

F-Stop (f/5.6)
ISO (100)
Shutter Speed (1/200)
Focal Length (250mm)

Photos looks soft and out of focus...colors...not very nice and it's under expose.

As mentioned.. you did miss focus! Unfortunately. I usually do not care for tight, horizontal crops... but with this one it would have worked, if only it was sharp. Nice try though! :)

I second Gipson, making the focus would've been ideal. The fence is distracting as well.

Okay, light and focus.... gotcha. I'll focus on that (no pun intended)
Thanks for the advice :)
I'll have to go take 9x10^100 more photos now to practice...haha :p

I second Gipson, making the focus would've been ideal. The fence is distracting as well.
Those are background branches...haha
I'll take care not to have busy backgrounds i guess?

Oh how funny! Some of the shadows match up, I just assumed it was fence and then saw it was branches, but still didn't notice they were in the background until I really went back and looked. Me fail. But yeah, focus, anyway :D

Slightly out of focus, and those branches are very distracting. I understand you probably had to shoot through them to see the bird, but it doesn't fit this image. If you maybe could have found a spot to look through the branches and have them OOF, it might have worked perfectly, leading your eyes directly to the bird.

As mentioned.. you did miss focus! Unfortunately. I usually do not care for tight, horizontal crops... but with this one it would have worked, if only it was sharp. Nice try though! :)
Thank you for the input :D

Oh how funny! Some of the shadows match up, I just assumed it was fence and then saw it was branches, but still didn't notice they were in the background until I really went back and looked. Me fail. But yeah, focus, anyway :D
Thanks for your advice too :)

Slightly out of focus, and those branches are very distracting. I understand you probably had to shoot through them to see the bird, but it doesn't fit this image. If you maybe could have found a spot to look through the branches and have them OOF, it might have worked perfectly, leading your eyes directly to the bird.
Okay I'll think about that next time, just one thing... the branches are behind the bird...

Also, general question: Would you use auto-focus or manual focus? It seems auto-focus doesn't focus on the right things sometimes.

Also, general question: Would you use auto-focus or manual focus? It seems auto-focus doesn't focus on the right things sometimes.

Focusing technique depends on many things.. the body you have, the lens you are using, what type of focus you are using (when using AF, at least! I prefer spot focus.. that way I know where the focus is!). If there are items in the way, the camera can be fooled, and that is when manual focus is sometimes needed.

I grew up shooting manual focus.. AF didn't exist for SLR's in those days! AF has gotten so good, that the only time I really use Manual anymore is for macro, and the occasional shot that wont AF accurately due to obstructions or lack of contrast.

hope that helps!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back