What's new

Please C&C, Shots at Bodega Bay, CA

jwhphoto

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 12, 2008
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Location
Citrus Heights, CA
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few shots i took a couple weeks ago. Please let me know what you think.
1.
Dog.jpg

not really anything exciting, but there were some people with dogs on the beach and this is a shot I liked.

2.
rock1.jpg

This one i wanted to show the "power of the ocean".
3.
rock2.jpg

This one i like a lot. With the slower shutter speed i had the "blast" blured, but the water moving in front is still clear.
4.
deserted.jpg

This was my favorite. I know the right side of the building is overexposed, however this was the only chance I had to shoot it. Also, i was not able to actually get on the lot, I had to shoot it looking through a space in a fence.

Please let me know what you think. Im an amature just getting started so I have lots to learn.
 
C&C per req:

1. A nice enough capture, however really only likely to appeal to the owner or someone especially into that breed. Good composition; you have the dog looking into the frame, and you've got the right elements sharp. It's slightly under-exposed, but nothing that some work with levels and curves wouldn't cure.

2, 3. Nicely done, in particular, the effect in #3 is timed perfectly. Both images are under-exposed and slightly desaturated.

4. Nice subject, as mentioned, the exposure isn't ideal, but there are times when a less than perfect image is better than no image. I would take this one back to the pixel room and try and brighten the front face of the structure a little; that will bring out more detail and reduce the contrast between the blown wall on the right.

Overall, some nice work. You've got an eye for composition, but your first three images are all under-exposed, leading me to wonder if perhaps you aren't metering correctly, or don't have your camera's meter set up in the optimum manner.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John
 
C&C per req:

... but your first three images are all under-exposed, leading me to wonder if perhaps you aren't metering correctly, or don't have your camera's meter set up in the optimum manner.

~John

Yes, I probably don't have the meter set up right. I Have never taken a class in photography and I just started trying stuff when I bought my camera a month ago. I'll try and find some information on setting up my metering in the camera.

Thanks
 
I like em. The dog pic is well... dog pic!! :)
#3 is fantastic action shot, and I like the last one except the side is way too bright. I see your edit above, but I personally prefer the original, but with the side wall
darker so it can be seen.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom