please CC on my photo of the day

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first CC request. :)

I'm doing a 365 project, in hopes that practice will make me better at photography. This is todays picture. Not my best, perhaps, but I would love to know what you guys would have done to make it better, had you taken the picture! Or would it not be something you would have thought worth shooting all at?

DSC08465.jpg

This is a rose and some white carnations in a wine bottle, and I took a picture. I increased the contrast, color, and warmth, all to try and bring out the rose, and clicked something called "adjustable threshold" (this is all done on Picnik :) ) which seemed to tone down the carnation in the background. Added a vignette, also.

Taken with a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC H50. I don't remember the exact settings, I'm sorry, but I did use the macro button with a tiny bit of zoom, and the smallest number aperture value (would that be a large value setting or small?). The shutter speed was around 10, though I don't know 10 whats. It was not seconds, I can tell you that much.

So, please let this noob know how bad or good it is.

I'd like to see deeper black in the background and not so washed out on the left of the rose.

I don't know if I should turn my head to get the frame right. I have no clue what is up and what is down.

I'm sorry but it looks a bit "messed up" and way over-processed.

I think it would have helped to show more of the flower itself like the stem or parts of the bottle which is holding the flower.

I can imagine that it's also quite tricky to get the exposure right with the dark red rose and the bright flower right next to each other. I'd stick with one or the other.

Thanks for the replies. :) So this isn't something really worth photographing like this again, then? But perhaps with better light, moving the white flower out of the way, and a different angle it would be ok?

I actually like the way it's processed. It gives it sort of a vintage feel to it. the only thing that I would change is the crop. I wouldn't crop so close to the rose on the right side because the vignetting is cutting into the rose too much.

...But perhaps with better light, moving the white flower out of the way, and a different angle it would be ok?

YES, then you would have the perfect image :)

It's not just really a matter of doing this and that. My suggestions are merely ideas to inspire your next approach when doing something like this.

You can have one single object over white background and it can drive you nuts just because you can't get the angle right.

It's a matter of experience and developing your own style - in short: it takes time and patience...

hello Abby. is it possible to post the shot straight out the Sony? this image is really worked-up, it's hard to judge the camera-operator part of the process. there's creativity in the picture and i like the subject and the composition. being able to see the image data would be useful.

YES, then you would have the perfect image :)

hee hee, all I'd have to do it change nearly everything about it. Yup. :lol:

You can have one single object over white background and it can drive you nuts just because you can't get the angle right.

Ah, I actually did this yesterday... My idea was to have a drop of honey coming out of the jar. It was my first attempt with an actual background. I used a high tech sheet of computer paper. But anyway, I ended up not being able to get the drop in focus or the exposure on the jar right. I just wasted a lot of honey and gave myself a cramp in my arm... :roll:

Thanks again.

matfoster said:
is it possible to post the shot straight out the Sony?

shoot, no. Just now when I went to get it I realize that I made a mistake while saving it, and accidently replaced the original instead of saving it as version "B". Sighh. Not a lot of help, am I? Should have made sure of that before asking for CC... I'm sorry.

Here is all your info as well.
Camera Maker: SONY
Camera Model: DSC-H50
Image Date: 2010:02:17 16:30:08
Focal Length: 11.9mm
Aperture: f/3.2
Exposure Time: 0.050 s (1/20)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Daylight
Flash Fired: No
Color Space: sRGB

...I just wasted a lot of honey and gave myself a cramp in my arm... :roll:

You're doing the right thing (I mean shooting until your arm falls off - not the honey thing!!!!).

Couldn't you collect the honey by putting a plate underneath?

Keep trying - you'll get there.

no worries. hate it when that happens!

matfoster said:
is it possible to post the shot straight out the Sony?

shoot, no. Just now when I went to get it I realize that I made a mistake while saving it, and accidently replaced the original instead of saving it as version "B". Sighh. Not a lot of help, am I? Should have made sure of that before asking for CC... I'm sorry.

Most reactions

Back