Please critique latest river landscapes

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by zulu42, Apr 17, 2018.

1. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm learning my gear. I can usually make the camera do what I want, and get the image to have the look I envisioned.

I put myself in beautiful locations, and shoot pretty things, so I've taken a lot of pretty pictures.
    The landscape photography I love to view, however, is on another level.

With top tier landscape photographers, such as @Vieri, it is the photograph that is beautiful, not just the landscape. It is the vision of the artist that makes one take interest. The landscape only has to be a somewhat willing subject.

I will never be that good. I'm perfectly happy to aspire. And I want to improve.

Seeking critique, technical and artistic. Critical comments have been so helpful. The ones that have stung the most have spurred the most improvement :)

A few from dawn on the Cosumnes River. Northern California foothills of the Sierra Nevadas.
    Starting to find myself taking almost the same picture of different rivers.

Thank you for looking
    cosumnes (1 of 1)-2.jpg

cosumnes (1 of 1)-3.jpg

cosumnes (1 of 1)-6.jpg

cosumnes (1 of 1)-4.jpg

• Like Like x 10
  2. Sil

Sil TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    very nice... i like 1 and 2..

• Like Like x 1
  3. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you Sil :)

4. Fujidave

Fujidave They Call me the wanderer Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good shots and colourful too, 1 & 3 are my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fishing4sanity

fishing4sanity No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I wish I was good enough to critique or offer help, especially because landscape photography is what I like to look at and attempt to photograph as well. I really like your first three photos, the fourth just doesn't catch my attention the way the first three do.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I'm digging #3. It's crazy vivid, but it totally works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I seem to have a personal thing about cutting off of the midground tree ... I would have liked the whole it to be part of the scene.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you Dave. Appreciate the comment.

Thank you fishing. I love your landscape shots.

Thanks my Peeb

Thank you for the comment. I often struggle with trees when framing the shot. I always dislike cutting them off, but then including the whole tree makes for a very different shot. I agree, though, for sure. Cut trees introduce tension to a tranquil scene. Thank you again.

9. texxter

texxter No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice landscapes!

I am also barely qualified to offer suggestions for improvement as I am not much of a landscape photographer, but I can always comment as a viewer and nature lover.

I love monumental landscapes, wide and taking in lots of space. Looking at your images I find myself wanting to see more and with a wider angle. The partial trees is telling me there is more I would lile to see.

Another thing I love about some landscapes is how they draw you using devices like perspective, lines and shapes. So that one is gently invited to step into the scene. Images 1 and 2 do it well and I could see am opportunity to add those ideas to 3 and 4, perhaps by changing camera height or position, or perhaps introducing a strong subject in the foreground, like flowers or rocks.

My last comment is about light amd color. Love your light and color, especially on images 1 and 3. Lovely done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. zulu42

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much for the kind and thoughtful comments. I find them valuable. I think the elements of the busy composition are leading eyes out of the frame. Maybe the lack of a solid point of interest to keep you in the composition. Nice of you to take the time :)

11. Vieri

Vieri Leica Ambassador & Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello zulu42, very good job here and what a great attitude towards photography! Can I ask you if you own or if you have used any Grad ND filters here? On my monitor, the first three photos all look like the sky is burned, and that to my eye is a bit distracting; using a Grad ND would have helped you with that. About your compositions, I see texxter's point about a wider angle. To me, the point is not that you necessarily have to get more of a scene in (or less); the idea is to be deliberate in your choice, meaning that the viewer should have a clear understanding of what your intentions were. If I may, let me give you a couple of suggestions about image nr. 1, to show you what I mean. I would not have included the reeds in the river (bottom right), they are too few to add anything to the scene, but their presence is evident and slightly distracting. Same goes for that one branch on the top right, the one that is disconnected from everything. As well, I would not have cut off the top of the main tree in the middle of the image, or - if impossible to include - I would have gone even more into the image: a good principle to follow when composing and when you are not sure about an object is "either in or out", meaning: does it add to the image? If yes, have it in. If not, take it out. The center tree in image nr. 1 in my opinion is too much in to be considered out, but not in enough to be considered in - hope that makes sense.

Sorry about the long message, and I hope you'll take in the spirit I wrote it: just a few general suggestions that you can apply to your work going forward. Best regards,

Vieri

• Like Like x 3
  12. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit

Nice set but one and three stand out to me.............

• Like Like x 1