Please Critique my Photos I am new to Photography

uachemeams4hm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a new photographer. I just got my D70s in July. I am slowly learning. I was wondering if some people could take a look at my pics and give me some advice. Be 100% honest. I am here to learn :) I dont know how to post process in photoshop very well. any help woulde be greatly appreciated. The links have the full sized pics.

http://adam.sinickonline.com/pictures/70.jpg
70.jpg

Make : SONY
Model : DSC-V1
ExposureTime : 1/60Sec
FNumber : F4.0
ISOSpeedRatings : 100
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
MeteringMode : Division
LightSource : Unidentified
Flash : Fired(Compulsory/return light not detected)
FocalLength : 28.00(mm)

http://adam.sinickonline.com/pictures/DSC_0386.jpg
DSC_0386.jpg

Model : NIKON D70s
ExposureTime : 1/80Sec
FNumber : F3.5
ISOSpeedRatings : 800
ShutterSpeedValue : 1/80Sec
ApertureValue : F3.5
Flash : Not fired
FocalLength : 70.00(mm)
FocalLength(35mm) : 105(mm)

http://adam.sinickonline.com/pictures/DSC_0571.jpg
DSC_0571.jpg

ExposureTime : 1/500Sec
FNumber : F6.0
ShutterSpeedValue : 1/500Sec
ApertureValue : F6.0
MaxApertureValue : F5.7
FocalLength : 300.00(mm)
FocalLength(35mm) : 450(mm)

http://adam.sinickonline.com/pictures/DSC_0662.jpg
DSC_0662.jpg

ExposureTime : 1/15Sec
FNumber : F2.8
ShutterSpeedValue : 1/15Sec
ApertureValue : F2.8
FocalLength : 40.00(mm)
FocalLength(35mm) : 60(mm)
http://adam.sinickonline.com/pictures/DSC_0902%208_10.jpg
DSC_0902%208_10.jpg

ExposureTime : 1/100Sec
FNumber : F5.6
ShutterSpeedValue : 1/100Sec
ApertureValue : F5.6
FocalLength : 65.00(mm)
FocalLength(35mm) : 97(mm)

Adam

Hallo Adam, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
(Thankfully your link tells me you are Adam, your nick here is so comoplicated, it will take me a while to learn that one...).

Please make sure you read the Guidelines for the Photo Critique section thoroughly, where it says you present only ONE photo and ask for some specific critique that you yourself pre-define. (See here ).

I have to move this to the General Gallery. There you will get many pointers, too. I am sure.

Hello Adam, welcome to the forum, you've got some nice shorts, my favs being the baseball pitcher (nice timing) and the sunset silouette (spelling!!), the shot of the boy jumping in the water is a bit fuzzy, i think a faster shutter speed would have helped here 1/80 is not all that fast for an action shot and as it was a sunny day there would have been enough light for a faster speed. I would crop the first shot into a vertical image and remove some of each side, as the tower would them be more prominent. I would also crop the botton of the 4th shot to remove the third building which i find distracting, hope this is of some help, and remember there is no right or wrong in photography, just different ideas
Luke

LaFoto said:
Hallo Adam, and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
(Thankfully your link tells me you are Adam, your nick here is so comoplicated, it will take me a while to learn that one...).

Please make sure you read the Guidelines for the Photo Critique section thoroughly, where it says you present only ONE photo and ask for some specific critique that you yourself pre-define. (See here ).

I have to move this to the General Gallery. There you will get many pointers, too. I am sure.

Sorry I didn't know. Next time i will follow the guidlines.

I am debating on entering some in a photo contest at a fair. The price to enter is $5 for 5 pics. Which ones would be good? and if any how should i improve them in PS (which i am also new to)

M Brex said:
new to photografy with a d70?? :scratch:
Yea. I have had a P&S. Yet I wanted to upgrade and i got a D70s, 2 lenses (28-70mm and a 70-300mm) for $800. Is there something wrong with starting out on a D70? SHould i have purchased another cam? I thought the deal was good and couldn't pass it up.

I know you asked for a critique, but I've not been into photography much longer than yourself, so I normally limit my coments to the fact that I like the pictures. I like these. Congrats on the D70s. :)

I like the pitcher and the sun set. nice shots.

However, it seems to me that in all of the shots here, the subject is very much front dead center. A good rule to start out with in composition is the rule of thirds (you can find it just about anywhere online explained much better then i can)
From there read what you can find about how lines and curves effect a viewer.
Since romantic as well as some others language reads left to right, we view pictures that way and even the side of a picture that the subject is on can have an effect on how it is viewed. I think you have a good start here with these shots. Keep it up

uachemeams4hm said:
i got a D70s, 2 lenses (28-70mm and a 70-300mm) for $800.

You suck, and I hate you. ;)

Round here you can't get anywhere near a D70 for less than $1000 (and that only has the 28-70mm lens)

As for your shots, you're well on your way. All of them are pretty strong, save for the boy jumping into the water. For shots like that, you need to close down the aperature and speed up the shutter.

Don't rely on the camera to do the work for you, it is a stupid machine that is trying to guess at what you want it to do. Learn how to operate it manually, and you will be able to dictate how the shot comes out....you will have a lot more creative control, and you can put out some really powerful images.

Welcome aboard, and keep shooting.
Remember...every shot is worth taking, but not all of them are worth printing.

I prefer it with pole - not sure why, just like that little extra detail.

Most reactions

Back