Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm indecisive here.
Color, B&W or both? Why?

_swamp Photos.jpeg

swamp sep2.jpeg

I like the color version better but both are good. As for critique, needs a more defined focal point. Maybe some creative dodge and burn to lead the eye towards the back?

I like color, and this image is very lush. Color all the way for me!

The way they are currently processed, I think the color looks better.

I agree with Sharon - there needs to be a clearer focal point. If there's not a clear focal point, then black and white becomes about patterns, shading. In this conversion, there's neither a clear focal point nor a clear pattern. The pattern of the trees could possibly be the focal point, but the leaves are too busy and they are a distraction. It also seems that - and correct me if I'm wrong - the lush color is an important reason for taking this shot in the first place.

Having said that, I think both have potential to be more interesting shots, though in my mind, they would end up being very different shots from each other. For both, I would play with different crops and perhaps adjusting the white and black points to adjust the contrast to bring out different elements in each shot. The light in the color version is very delicate and interesting and I also agree with Sharon about bringing the eye towards the back where the light is more prominent. If you try that, also try cropping out some of the foreground - the patch of dirt would weigh the image down. In the black and white, the light in the back of the photo looks kind of flat and I find myself more interested in the patches of light in the middle and foreground, and the pattern of the thinner trees coming out of the water. In that shot, I'd lose the heavy tree on the right.

They are both nicely done, though the B&W could use a bit more contrast. Photographer's choice! :)

That said, what the real issue with the image is what @SquarePeg was saying: there's no actual focal point. You could try a simple crop: turn this horizontal composition into a vertical by cropping out the large tree trunks on the right, getting close to the thinner stand of trees are in what is now the center. This will draw attention to the nice curving line you have, as well as the triangle from the logs.

Could be a square composition, too.

Hahaha! Leo and I are thinking along the same lines. She's explained it better, though. 👏

I’m going with B&W. I have many pictures like this, and remember beauty is in the eye of the beholder, where they are way to busy. I look at a scene and think this is beautiful then get it home on a big screen and go ick this doesn’t look good at all. For me this picture is way to busy. Like others have said no focal point. There is way to much to look at. This is the reason I like the B&W version, one less thing to focus on. I don’t have to decide if the colors are good or not. I don’t know if you can go back but maybe a different angle where the stump is the main focal point? With a shallow depth of field. You get the color and something to focus on instead of running your eyes all over trying to find “something”. When I look at it I feel I’m missing something. Is there a deer or alligator or something else I’m supposed to see but can’t? Any way just my 2 cents for what its worth. And like I said i have a bunch of these.

Color for me. The details in the color version are more visible than in the B&W one.

They are both nicely done, though the B&W could use a bit more contrast. Photographer's choice! :)
This. As far as focal point, my eye goes between the stump at the right and the fallen logs at left & center, never leavim
ng the foreground.

Here's a cropped version. I like it less. I like all the different features of the wide shot, that is what drew me to it. I suppose it just translate into a great photo. I'll work on a better B&W version of wide shot.
_swamp_crop7668.jpeg

After one more B&W attempt it's time to move on to another shot of the area.

Last attempt at a classic B&W.
swamp sep2 Photos.jpeg

And lastly an artistic moody twilight version.
twilight swap Photos.jpeg

It is less difficult than it seems, in your subconscious you've been attracted by an effect and that's why you made this photo, the effect is something for which there is an interesting name in the English language, namely dappled light.
The trick, however, is to bring out this effect as best as possible through the light/dark ratio in the image, plus some other minor adjustments. As you have most likely experienced the dappled light, I think it does not come up enough in the image.
Your prints are too light for my taste and therefore the effect is largely lost and nobody knows exactly what they are actually looking at. Although I am a black and white supporter, in this case I find the color image more interesting.

Some adjustments I would make myself:
- mirror the image (yes!) making the viewing direction smoother and more captivating
- I would clone out the tree stump on the right and then cut off the photo exactly at that spot, including a small piece of the bottom of the entire photo
- I would (better) align the image horizontally on the middle trunk of the 3 trees exactly in the middle of the photo
- make the photo quite a bit darker and then brighten the lighter spots but don't let these spots flare
- saturate the green tones in the photo just a little more

In fact, you could do the same in a black and white version.
I don't have advanced editing tools and definitely no cloning tool. I have the display all my photos on their own merit, with only mild editing using free NX Studio and Mac's Photos. I keep editing many versions of my photos 'til I find a suitable final photo that has merit. I kind of like it that way too. Then I post my final version on my Flickr page, which will give you an idea what I'm capable of.

Last edited:
I prefer the color over the B&W. They are nice shots, and I agree with gk on the dappled light, I think that may have been what attracted you to take the shot. If you have sliders to play with a bit, you might be able to pull that dappled light out a bit more. The free version of Flickr has a nice editing tool that gives you sliders for exposure, contrast, blacks, and whites, etc. Very nice shot though, having been places that look like that, I can "see" what I think you were looking for.

Most reactions

Back