Please help...beginner here.

dupchurch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I would like to start taking wedding, glamour, portraits, model portfolios, etc. as a part-time business. I have a full time career and would like to do this 20-25 hours a week. :? I have room for a small studio in my house and I live in Florida, so plenty of outdoor locations. Anyway, I would love any pointers. Are there any good online courses, or books for beginners? What recommendations would you make for studio lighting? Any help would be appreciated!

dupchurch said:
I would like to start taking wedding, glamour, portraits, model portfolios, etc. as a part-time business. I have a full time career and would like to do this 20-25 hours a week. :? I have room for a small studio in my house and I live in Florida, so plenty of outdoor locations. Anyway, I would love any pointers. Are there any good online courses, or books for beginners? What recommendations would you make for studio lighting? Any help would be appreciated!

What is it that you are interested in? Photography or the business prospects of it?
I mean, is photography your passion?

If you’re just starting out the best thing you can do is to take as many photos as you can. Just keep experimenting.

You can find plenty of theory books at any large book store. I had this one called [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0817458697/qid=1082385794/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-5942257-1695017?v=glance&s=books]Shoot![/ame]. It was pretty good. It's specifically 35mm, but will give you a foundation for any format you wish to shoot.

There are plenty of people here that enrolled in the New York Institute of Photography. I'm sure some of them can give you some information in regards to the program.

TwistMyArm said:
There are plenty of people here that enrolled in the New York Institute of Photography. I'm sure some of them can give you some information in regards to the program.

New York Institute of Photography seems to have a nice home based Professional Photography Course. Will cost you around USD700. You could take it at your own pace. However, if you stick to their schedule, you could complete it in 6 months.
I cannot comment on the course yet, since I'm waiting for the first batch of study materials. But have heard a lots of good stuff about NYIP!
There are more ppl here who are already in the progam!

how can you have a full-time career AND do this 20-25/week ?
you sound too busy to even focus on one of your subjective areas,
would take 7 days a week commitment IMO. maybe just pick weddings,
one a week will keep you very busy with the process.

dupchurch said:

No, I'm not doing it for the money. I work twelve hour days...so I only work 14 or 15 days a month.

yeah i agree with danalec99.....you should enroll in NYIP....you dont have to pay 700 bucks in cash up front.....you can make monthly 35 dollar payments which is what im doing now and you can work at your own pace..(they give you 3 years to complete the course but you can do it in 6 months if you stick with it).....trust me, you NEED this course to fully understand the line of work you want to get into.......look into it....you'll be happy you did....

Mr.ReDEyE said:
yeah i agree with danalec99.....you should enroll in NYIP....you dont have to pay 700 bucks in cash up front.....you can make monthly 35 dollar payments which is what im doing now and you can work at your own pace..(they give you 3 years to complete the course but you can do it in 6 months if you stick with it).....trust me, you NEED this course to fully understand the line of work you want to get into.......look into it....you'll be happy you did....

how long have you been in the program? And how do you like it thus far?

Mr.ReDEyE said:
yeah i agree with danalec99.....you should enroll in NYIP....you dont have to pay 700 bucks in cash up front.....you can make monthly 35 dollar payments

-The reason why opted for full payment (US$700) is because, when you pay it in installments, the fee comes up to US$1000.

Plus,

-The full payment gives me:

1. "Ansel Adams: Photographs from the National Park Service Archive" - by Basil Cannon
2. "Faces of Ground Zero: Portraits of the Heroes of 9/11"- by Joe McNally
3. "The Photojournalist's Guide to making money" - by Michael Sedge
4. "Starting your career as a Freelance Photographer" - by Ted Crawford
5. "Photography Field Guide" - National Geographic"

Most reactions

New Topics

Back