Please Help Me Choose A Camera!

It's funny how these discussions always somehow turn into a silly Canon vs Nikon debate(it's been getting pretty bad around here lately). If the only reason I bought a camera was for image quality then I would use medium format cameras. Now with that being said, a smaller sensor does add more noise when its pixel count gets higher than it should. For example, the 8 megapixel on the Minolta is going to be noisier than the 6 megapixel on a DSLR no matter which brand name you choose. A DSLR has a larger sensor to start with. There's a huge quality difference between my D70 and my dad's Fujifilm S7000. If you are printing at 4x6 or only posting your pictures on the internet then there may not be much of a difference.

Basically a camera choice does come down to what you are using it for and your personal preference. A camera maybe strong in one area but if that area is not much of concern for you then it's really not a strong selling point for you now is it. For example, the Canon 10D is missing some features I like on my D70 but I'm not a brand name snob so I won't tell you one is better than the other. It comes down to your personal preference as to which one would be better. You really should read up on the reviews at dpreview.com and see what specifications/features you can live with and what you can't live without. Every camera has their strong and weak points. Who knows, marjen, you might be perfectly happy with the Minolta or Sony but for me my dad's FujiFilm S7000 is too limiting for the type of photography that I do.

The best way to know is to actually use the cameras, but I know that's usually not possible. What you should do is describe the type of photography you do because the average photographer doesn't need all the fancy features of DSLR or expensive prosumer digital cameras. Prosumer digital cameras have come along way so you might be happy with one, but I don't know your preferences so it's hard to tell.

I'll give you two quick differences to start you off, but there's more out there. One difference is that non-DSLR cameras tend to give you too much DOF. Even at f2.8 the background will still be in focused similar to using f8 or something. You should definitely test this out before buying a non-DSLR. This has been true for the several non-DSLR cameras that I have used. I don't know if it is true for all of them. Secondly you get an optical viewfinder on a DSLR as opposed to an electronic viewfinder which is basically a small LCD. I've always hated holding my cameras at arm's length to use the larger LCD monitor on the back of point and shoot cameras so a viewfinder was the only choice for me but that might not be the case for you. I prefer optical over electronic viewfinders.

Crazymainer said:
The problem with the D70 is they don't take the older Pro-SLR Nikoin lense. And yes I got this right from a Nikoin saleman.
I don't think that's an issue for 95% of D70 owners and definitely not for new owners unless they actually want to buy old Pro lenses. If a personal can afford or use Pro Nikon lenses then I would think they are the type of people who would be interested in Pro level camera bodies like a Nikon D2H, etc. The D70 can use G, D, AF-S, AF-I, AI-P, series E, etc or do you think that's not enough for the average user? With the targeted audience of the D70, Canon 10D and 300D I don't see how compatibility with Pro level lenses has much merit. It will most likely only be a concern for about 5% of possible customers.

Just one of the reasons why I don't like getting into these Canon vs Nikon debates. This might be a valid reason for you but it's certainly not a valid reason for me. Choosing a camera is a preference decision as much as it is a specification comparison. One maybe more important for one person but not as important for someone else.

2Crazymainer:

Don't you need 3 L lenses and 2 pro bodies to be in the Pro Program? :D

With the targeted audience of the D70, Canon 10D and 300D I don't see how compatibility with Pro level lenses has much merit. It will most likely only be a concern for about 5% of possible customers.
So you're saying that 95% of people are gonna be happy with 300Ds kit lens and some 75-300 ?

DocFrankenstein said:
So you're saying that 95% of people are gonna be happy with 300Ds kit lens and some 75-300 ?
No, that's not what I'm saying. There are many great lenses that are not officially labeled "pro" level by the manufacture and there are quite a bit of bad lenses too. All my Nikon lenses aren't pro Nikon lenses but I'm perfectly happy with them. I don't think Canon is any different because I'm sure there are many good consumer Canon lenses out there as well as bad ones that don't have the pro status.

There are actually a lot Canon 10D, 300D and Nikon D70 owners on this forum. If more than 5% of these forum members own or can easily justify the extra expense of pro lenses then I'll take back my statement. Considering that these camera bodies are more "entry" level DSLR I've seen more discussions about relatively cheaper consumer level brand name lenses and cheaper third party brand names like Sigma, etc. I don't remember too many pro lenses mention on this forum or other photography forums...they are just too expensive. Also the D70 should be able to use all current lenses. The discussion was about older pro lenses.

If someone could afford the price of pro lenses then they should be able to afford pro camera bodies, which was my point. I don't believe many people in the "entry" level DSLR are considering pro lenses. If you can prove me wrong then great...I don't have a problem with that. Until then I don't think it is a valid reason for choosing one camera body over the other in the "entry" level DSLR category.

I find myself agreeing with what you're saying, but I still think canon is better :D (I'm biased. I have the 300D)

This is retarded. IMO unless he handles the whole camera system... of body+lenses... it's just a blind draw at this point.

If he has no experience with DSLRs, SLRs and doesn't really know what he's gonna shoot. If he didn't use both D70, 300D and 10D in different conditions with different lenses and flashes.... How's he gonna know what's better? no way..

So it's mostly body. In body it's mostly the sensor that counts (to me). Canon sensor performs better. So you all should follow my biased advice and get ....

Funny thing, is that I've used D70 only about 5 times. It seemed ok, but not as good. I dunno.

No right answer.... That's right.

DocFrankenstein said:
This is retarded. IMO unless he handles the whole camera system... of body+lenses... it's just a blind draw at this point.
Yes, I completely agree. For the record I never said marjen should choose a D70. I don't believe I directly recommended any camera. The Canon 300D and 10D are great cameras too. I just stated that each camera has their good and bad points and it's up to the user to decide which one they want.

DocFrankenstein said:
So it's mostly body. In body it's mostly the sensor that counts (to me).
There are other things besides the sensor that a person can know they need right away based on the type of photography they do. For you the sensor maybe the important issue(which is perfectly okay), but if I knew marjen was into action photography then the faster frame rate and flash sync from the D70 would be more useful in my opinion.

Basically this is all I've been saying along. It's up to the user to decide what they think is more important and I agree that it's a lot easier to know if they have more hands on knowledge of photography. For me the image quality wasn't different enough between Canon and Nikon to give up the features I like from my D70.

Also I want you to know that I'm only trying to have a civil discussion so hopefully you or anyone else haven't taken anything I've said in the wrong way. We can definitely agree to disagree. :D

I had a 828 for awhile... I hated it for everything but IR... The shutter lag is terrible, the interface is complicated, and the firmware it originally came with didn't allow shutter speeds faster than 1/30th. The only great thing about that camera is the Zeiss glass on it.

SWFLA1 said:
I'd choose D-70 :D

in fact i did choose d-70....lol

Me too :lol:

BTW as Sony done anything up "up" the storage on their memory sticks?
I have a small Sony P-9 and the only thing that urked me was the fact that 128mb was the bigest I could get. I know they made a 256 but you would have to "flip" the card to get the other 128mb.

Most reactions

Back