Please help me choose studio lighting!!

sondraleigh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score

I am currently a graphic designer that will be taking product pictures for a catalog that I am designing. My employer is going to put together a studio for me to take these pictures with a digital camera. I have taken studio photos before in college classes, but I've never purchased the equipment. Can you please help me decide what I should look for?

I have found a package that looks appealing. Any pros or cons to these items? Would I need something that's not included here?

1) One Britek HS-500 Professional Studio Strobe 180WS!
2) Three Britek PS-300H Professional Studio Flash Units (150WS)
3) Three Mini Slave Strobes (20WS)
4) Three Custom Snoot, Barndoors, Honeycomb Sets for Mini Strobes
5) Six Britek 2.8 to 6.5 Foot Light stands show me
6) One 1.3 to 3.5 Foot Backlight Stand
7) Two 32" SWhite / Black Reflection Umbrellas
8) One 32" Silver / Gold Reflection Umbrella
9) Four Unique Umbrella Reflectors
10) One Snoot
11) One Honeycomb
12) One set of Barn Doors
13) A Complete Economy Background Support System
14) Three Pan Head Bulb Holders (for AS66 strobes)

Any tips you could give me would be awesome. I'd GREATLY appreciate the help!!

Thanks!!

Ironically I have been looking at a package similar to this and interested in opinions also. Even though I have none to offer right now :oops:

What do you guys got money or something? Jokingly of course. That is definitely a complete set up. With any kind of luck the gear will pay for it's self 10 fold. Do not forget the Minolta light meter.

Of course everyone has there own lighting style. Personally I use 2 hot lights with foamcore bounce. The set up is cheap and good; most of the time. Of course it fails miserably when the shot gets technical i.e all things reflective. That is when I borrow a Speedotron with a softbox. In my opinion the softbox beats the umbrella set up. They are definitely pricey, but you can make your own for under 50 dollars.

Again personally, I say consider what you will be photographing. If most the shots will be soft goods you can go with less gear. If you are shooting jewelry and or wine bottles the right gear makes the shot easier.

Keep us updated on the progress. I wish I was buying new equipment.

I've always liked older strobe equipment compaired to the newer stuff.

I've got a P2000D norman kit, with 2 powerpacks and 4 heads... 6 umbrellas, 2 softboxes, barndoors for all my heads, and several filters for each. I got the setup for about 500 bucks (I think thats how much I spent... LOL)

Well, most of the products I will be taking photos of will be books. But my employer wants to be able to use this lighting for videos that we produce also. Do you think hot lighting is better in that case? He had been looking at a continuous lighting package that included:

1) Three NEW Britek 1,000 Watt Digital/Video/Movie Lamps
2) Three 7 1/2 Foot Light Stands
3) Two 32" Black/White Umbrellas
4) One Huge 44" Transparent "Shoot-Through" Umbrella
5) Three Built-in Barndoors!
6) Three 10' Power Cords
7) All Bulbs
8) One Triple Lamp & Accessories Carrying Case
9) One Light Stand and Umbrella Carrying Case
10) One 6'8" X 9' Raw Muslin Background

It sounds like maybe I would want to add a light meter and softbox to this package. Does anyone know what would work better if we want to use the lighting for video also?

Thanks so much for your help!

You can use continuous with either video or still. You can use flash/strobe only with still.

Most reactions

Back