Please help me narrow it down.

that is a better deal from a good retailer.
Then you can pick your own lens from BH, Adorama or KEH

if he doesn't know actuations get him to take a picture of todays paper and send you the jpg.
Then you can use a free exif reader, like Opanda, to get the shutter actuaions.

but think carefully about getting from individual with no warranty. why does he have new lens?

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the advice.

I may just go that route. I couldn't find a 28-135 lens on dpreviews so maybe it's a cheap one? I just sent an email asking for the make/model in addition to instruction on how to get the shutter count...he didn't know how.

Last edited:
He just said he bought it new from Dell and he's guessing it has around 5000 clicks.

The lens is a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras.

He just said he bought it new from Dell and he's guessing it has around 5000 clicks.

The lens is a Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Standard Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras.

Get the picture and you can see for yourself how many clicks it has. This is easy for him and should be a no-brainer. If he won't send it go somewhere else.

Ok, I requested the pic. I'll let you know.

That lens review doesn't look very good... if I got the $594 40d from adorama, I would have less than $400 after shipping left for a lens to be at the same price. It's a $400 lens and I'm not sure I'd want to spend much more than that for my first lens. Do you think it would be ok to start with?

I might be able to get him to go lower on the price too. He knows a guy I work with so I have some connection which might help.

EDIT: Oh, I just read that he'd be willing to sell separately.

That is a decent lens, I wouldn't worry about it. But I do think that it would be mis-matched with that camera (as your only lens). Why Canon decided to pair that lens with that camera, I'll never know. :scratch:

The problem is that it's only 28mm at it's shortest (widest angle). That might be OK on a 35mm film camera (which this lens was designed for)...or even on a 'full frame' digital SLR (which this camera is not).

So my advice would be to skip that lens (if you can) and get something that starts around 17 or 18mm. There is the usual 'kit' lens for this format of camera, the EF-S 18-55mm, but it's nothing to write home about. There is the EF-S 17-85mm IS, which is very similar to the EF 28-135mm IS, just wider.
The problem will all the lenses mentioned so far, is they their maximum aperture is not very big (F3.5 to F5.6). It's usually a lot better to have a lens that can open up to F2.8 through the entire zoom range. Have a look at the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8. Both are very good quality lenses, especially for the price ($400-$500).

I just read a review of people having communication problems with non-Canon lenses. Do you think this is a concern or are those you recommended definitely compatable?

I just read a review of people having communication problems with non-Canon lenses. Do you think this is a concern or are those you recommended definitely compatable?
That is/was an issue for older non-Canon lenses that were designed & built many years ago. Any new lens that you buy, and most any 'modern' lens should work just fine.
Even the older lenses can be 're-chipped' if necessary.

This other guy that has the d80 responded with this...

"The D80 is in perfect condition and is a great camera...the lenses I have are 24-120mm AF lens....sigma 70-210mm push and pull lens...sigma 22-55mm lens I sold the 75-300mm lens....and I also have a sigma 28-200mm lens

I think that you should either get the 24-120 or the sigma 28-200mm lens I am asking 300 for the nikon lens and 200 for the sigma.

I have a bag and tripod and cleaning kit, and I can do $750 for the D80 with nikon lens or $650.00 for the sigma and D80 setup. If you want a flash it would be an additional 125.00"

So I guess that boils down to $450 for the d80 body. That's just a little less than what's available at adorama. Btw, the 40D appears to be gone.

In other news, the guy that has the 40D will be sending me a current jpg when he gets home later today. If it has the shutter count that he thinks it does, I'm going to offer him $500, unless someone wants to talk me out of it. :mrgreen:

If you can get $500 for the 40D, it is a very good price as long as it is in good shape.

The expected shutter life for 40D is 100,000, so even if the previous owner shot 20,000 photos, it still have about 80%. (but it doesn't mean the camera will break at 100,000 or it will not have shutter problem at 500 clicks)

Good Luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back