Please help me with these pictures compared to professionals CC please

blythe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi,

I have been trying to replicate pictures that the pros have and I just cant seem to get there yet. Im not sure on how to 100% control the lighting so it isn't so harsh on my pictures

I shot this in a light box where my flash was directly above the sneaker. It was about -2.3 I think and the shadow below the sneaker is a lot more visible. Is it better if I used 2 flashes on each side?

Thanks

The pros
020440_1_p.jpg

Mine
stash.jpg

The first one looks a little over-exposed. The second one looks a little over-saturated.

Tone the exposure down a little (1 or 1/2 stop) and I think you'll have it.

To get the white background - meter the white posterboard (or whatever that is). Adjust your settings so that it is the 'correct' exposure - then overexpose by 3 stops. That will make it completely white. As long as the subject isn't blown out (looks like this would still be OK), you're good-to-go.

EDIT
I didn't realize that the first was the "pros". It looks kinda washed out.

A flash on each side would probably be best. Try a flash on one side and a reflector on the other.

Overall, I think your's looks better. It's a little oversaturated, and you're loosing detail on the white parts - but it's not bad. Moving the flash to the side will probably help a lot.

Last edited:
Heads up blythe:

Unless you have written permission to use 'The pro's' image.......

From the TPF Rules and Guidelines:
* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

Badingdingding. I was going to say it but KmH beat me to it.

Product shots like this always have retouching in PP to get rid of scuffs, creases, and just about anything else that would make the product look "less-than-perfect". Your problems will not be solved only by lighting if you really want to get professional results.

3rd vote on the image posted that is not your's..... please read the TPF guidelines / rules.

The shadows and over-saturation are ....... not good in #2. Also note how the laces are tied in #1, much better presentation.

I have been trying to replicate pictures that the pros have and I just cant seem to get there yet. Im not sure on how to 100% control the lighting so it isn't so harsh on my pictures

I shot this in a light box where my flash was directly above the sneaker. It was about -2.3 I think and the shadow below the sneaker is a lot more visible. Is it better if I used 2 flashes on each side?
Did you fire the flash bare (no diffuser)? It looks like you did since the shadow has a hard edge. To get a softer shadow edge you have to diffuser your light source. You may want to try three flashes through some sort of diffuser (softboxes, shoot through umbrellas, the light box diffusion material)...two at the sides and one from above...but set the power down on the flashes so you don't overpower the subject. Set the camera to manual and experiment with the settings and the flash power to get the shot you want.

I don't like the pro shot, I think yours is more appealing. Tuck the lace to avoid the shadow though. If I had to guess the shot was done was done with a very large and soft light source, probably a big softbox right over and slightly behind the shoe. Note that the stitching at the sole doesn't throw as much shadow detail and contrast as yours does.

Don't get your panties in a knot in this case about posting the shot... you're not passing it off as your own. On the contrary, you're referencing it as something you admire and want to emulate. But try and find out as much as you can... some serious research might actually reveal who took that shot. Then send that photographer and email, and ask him or her how the shot was done. The person might (mood, personality and schedule permitting) respond with an answer from which you can learn. And if you find out, you can respectfully add the photographer's name to this post, with a link to more of his/her work.

I agree with Tron on this yours has better detail. You could add some contrast to yours if you wish to emulate that first shot but, I thought the first had too much. Besides dont try and, emulate try to do better.

Well the shadow on your I see is caused by the shoelace. Notice the pros shot has the laces tucked inside the shoe.

Im pretty sure having 2 flashes on the sides would help.

To get the background blown out, may I suggest just cutting the shoe out and placing it on a white background?

To make the light less harsh, either use a less powerfull flash, or diffuse it more. A peice of white fabric?

I personaly prefer your shot, even tho the higlights are a little to over exposed.

Keep playing around with exposure methods and flash and whatnot untill you get it right is all I can really recommend.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back