PLEASE HELP ME!

Mustafa Sunalp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Right, I have searched and searched for a camera to use for music videos and ended up purchasing the sony 6300 due to its great price and 4k shoots.

The sony a6300 wasent enough as expected in low light situations, my main purpose for this camera is for music videos of course in day light and low light, close up and long distance, i have purchased a lot of equipment for my camera including a very cheap shoulder mounted stabilizer untill i can afford a better one as they are not cheap.

The problem now is my the kit lens as said above is not good for low light.

I can not decide which lens i should buy now out of the,

SIGMA 30 mm f/1.4 DC DN Standard Prime Lens

OR

Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Lens (SEL35F18)

( PLEASE NOTE ,THIS IS FOR MUSIC VIDEOS, LOW LIGHT AND DAY LIGHT)

So possible 1 of them lenses can do both day light and low light in great quality.

Please help me in which lens to go for ,after seeing a lot of reviews online i still can not make my mind up.

Thank you

They will both perform very well in daylight. In low light the Sigma will give you even better video quality. Try setting both of the focal lengths on your kit lens to make sure this is the field of view you are looking for.

They will both perform very well in daylight. In low light the Sigma will give you even better video quality. Try setting both of the focal lengths on your kit lens to make sure this is the field of view you are looking for.

Please do not laugh at me, i am a beginer, how do i do that? On my sont a6300 kit lens? Does it even have that option?

Please do not laugh at me, i am a beginer, how do i do that? On my sont a6300 kit lens? Does it even have that option?
No need to laugh, honestly that is what I expected, that´s why I suggested it. I wanted you to know what te expect from that new lens.
Your kit lens is a zoom lens with a zoom ring (the new version has some kind of digital zoom ring, the older one a completely manual). With that you can zoom in or out. I´m not sure about the new version, but the old one has numbers on top of it, showing you the focal length. One of these numbers is 35, which is what you need to compare it to the SEL35f18, and then there is 28 - so you have to set it somewhere between these two to compare the 30mm focal length with the sigma. Both having much bigger maximum apertures though, they create shallower depth of focus. So the background in your images will be more blurred.
Make sure you understand at least the basics of photography, before you begin your musik videos. Video is very similar to photo. Learn about aperture, shutter speed and ISO and what effects they have on your images/videos.

Thank you very much, I know the basics of ISO and now i do understand more about apertures, just need to learn more about shutter speed... I think i will go with the sigma anyway, aftee looking at music videos shot with the sigma i am looking to buy they look absolute crisp quality in day and night thanks for your help

There will not be a huge difference between 30 and 35mm, and I have never use any sony lenses (since I have only Canon and Olympus cameras) But the Sigma 30mm 1.4, is a phenomenal lens. The quality stands up to lenses 3 times the price. If you learn how to use a lens like this, you will not be disappointed. It is probably my most or second most used lens. The Sony might also be very good but I cannot comment on it since I have not used it.

My other recommendation would be to look into some lighting, even a tiny bit of supplemental lighting can do a lot for a live video shoot.

There will not be a huge difference between 30 and 35mm, and I have never use any sony lenses (since I have only Canon and Olympus cameras) But the Sigma 30mm 1.4, is a phenomenal lens. The quality stands up to lenses 3 times the price. If you learn how to use a lens like this, you will not be disappointed. It is probably my most or second most used lens. The Sony might also be very good but I cannot comment on it since I have not used it.

My other recommendation would be to look into some lighting, even a tiny bit of supplemental lighting can do a lot for a live video shoot.

Oh thats just perfect! So much help from you guys, thank you for the great advice i will be going to pick up the sigma tommorow and lesrn hoe to use it properly as well as learn everything else i need, also will look into some lighting aswell, thanks again

I went with the Sigma 24m DG HSM Art Lens on my Sony A7ii. This thing is great in low light.

DSC00892-XL.jpg

Most reactions

Back