PLEASE HELP Nikon D50

photofrenzy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So in my previous thread i posted how i was looking at getting a camera. I found a used Nikon D50 that I just bought tonight. It didnt have an sd card and the woman claims she didnt use the camera much and it was too much for her needs. I got it home and am trying to use it and either I am completed dumb or something is wrong. I have it set on auto (to test it out) put in my 512mb scandisk sd card, formatted it and set the date and time. Every time I try to take a picture the i hear the shutter, nothing on the lcd display and it flashes ERR on the screen in the viewfinder and on the menu lcd on the top of the camera. I am trying to read the manual but all it says is ERR has something to do with camera malfunction of the shutter..can anyone help me or have i been ripped off?

Did you test it before you paid for it? Or is this a new problem?

Did you try it with a different SD card? Did you try your SD card in a different camera (or computer for that matter)?

These would be the first steps in the troubleshooting process...

I tried it without the SD card as she did not have one and it didnt work, I was gullable and bought her story about it not working unless there is an sd card..the sd card i put in is from my old camera and worked in that and on the computer. It did format from what I can tell but the camera isnt working.

'Rider is correct, eliminate all the variables. Try a new card, try a different lens (if you have one), do a reset to factory settings. Does the shutter sound normal? Does 'Err' stay flashing on the display? When the shutter in my D70 died some years ago, it would flash 'Err' until I pressed the release again, but there was a very distinct 'wrong' sounding noise as well. Good luck!

it sounds like its working..but i am so new to this I dont know?! oh man this is disappointing. it flashes err for a bit then goes out. and when i try to take a picture it doesnt take one or reduce the number of pics left on the memory card

so if it is the shutter what can I do? I am pretty sure this girl knew that it didnt work when she sold it to me..how much would it cost approximately to be fixed and where could i take it? I am so bummed out..not a good experience with my first camera

It would have to go back to either a Nikon service centre, or a qualified repair shop; last shutter replacement I priced was about $350 Cdn. I would make a real effort to track the seller down and demand a refund. I realize it's a long-shot, but it sounds like she sold you a pig in a poke! Sorry!

She told me that the problem was "odd" and I told her I want my money back .She said she is out all day tomorrow but could meet me Wednesday during the day. I told her I would really like to meet up sometime tomorrow and Im waiting for a response. I dont want to soak $350 bucks into a camera that isnt even worth that..add that money to what i paid for the camera and i could have bought a working used D70 at least.

I've used off brand batteries and when they fail it causes all kinds of goofiness with the camera. Also is the SD card's little locking slide out of position.

It the original battery that came with the camera when it was bought. The LCD said the battery was fully charged but I thought maybe I should charge it anyways and it appears to be charging and has been for the past half hour now so Im hoping that will work. In terms of the SD card, its just a ScanDisk 512mb, I also tried a Kensington 512 mb and a Maxwell 1Gb but am I suppose to be using a special more powerful memory card? When I slid the lock on the side of the card and put it back in the camera it read 0 as the number of pictures available to take and It wouldn't allow me to shoot any pictures (the shutter wouldn't work at all) so I slid the thing back and it showed 922 images available (in auto jpeg format) and when I tried to take a picture the counter wouldn't go down, the picture would appear and then I would get the ERR message on the display even though I heard the shutter click. Im stumped, I just hope this girl who sold it to me is decent enough to give me my money back if it doesnt work after I charge the battery fully.

Most of the noise made when the shutter is released is from mirror slap, not the shutter.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the camera is not functioning properly.

I would try to get my money back for sure... Don't sink 350 bucks into a camera that isn't worth that. In the future, make sure you test these things out before you pay for them... If she didn't have an SD card, you should have brought one. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

So in my previous thread i posted how i was looking at getting a camera. I found a used Nikon D50 that I just bought tonight. It didnt have an sd card and the woman claims she didnt use the camera much and it was too much for her needs. I got it home and am trying to use it and either I am completed dumb or something is wrong. I have it set on auto (to test it out) put in my 512mb scandisk sd card, formatted it and set the date and time. Every time I try to take a picture the i hear the shutter, nothing on the lcd display and it flashes ERR on the screen in the viewfinder and on the menu lcd on the top of the camera. I am trying to read the manual but all it says is ERR has something to do with camera malfunction of the shutter..can anyone help me or have i been ripped off?

When you are buying off hand or used stuff, buy from a reputable dealer. If you are forced into buying locally from someone on craigslist...

ALWAYS TEST THE EQUIPMENT FIRST. TRUST PEOPLE AS FAR AS YOU CAN THROW THEM. Unless an infant has a camera for sale. I don't advocate throwing a baby.

Best advice I can give.

Thanks everyone. I know I should have been smarter about all of this. I didnt know it needed the SD card to work and their wasnt any stores near by to purchase one or I would have. I was leary buying it without trying it but since she seemed like a nice lady I thought It was ok (and im usually the most skeptical person there is). She said she can meet up with me tomorrow to give me my money back so I hope she stays true to her word. I bought it off Kijiji. There are some ones on sale on there that are int he $400 range for D70 and D3000, one has about 6000 shutter actuations. Does that seem like a good deal?

Sounds like a decent deal, assuming the cameras work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back