Please help! Printing Q.

M @ k o

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Oh boy ! , I never really thought about this with my new 20D. I'm printing for the first time tomorrow. I took pictures of my new Grandbaby in the delivery room today. I got some really good shotz that would make everyone smile.

I have my Image-recording Quility settings @ Medium Fine JPEG. 2544x1696, the print size says A5-A4. Please tell if these setting will be ok to print 4x6's , 5x10's and maybe an 8x10 without cropping to much or losing quility of the photo. Pleeease tell me I'm ok with these setting so I can some sleep tonite. Very worried ! I should of paid more attention to this part in the manual before hands. Ggggrrrrr !

Thx for any info.

M @ k o

not being familiar with the 20D i don't know what the A5 - A4 designation means, but i would assume at the pixel size you have, an 8 x 10 should print fairly ok. to get the best quality print, start shooting in the finest quality jpeg you can or if you want to step it up a notch, shoot RAW and save to a tif file. doing this will render about the best you can expect from a digital camera.

are you setting to medium-fine because your card is small? if so, buy a gig or at least a 512mb card so you'll have a bit of room to play with.

good luck!

Okay great so if an 8x10 will print ok than anything smaller should do good also. Shooting RAW will be my next study.

Thanks for replying so quick.

I would also suggest that you shoot in RAW mode, or at least in large/fine mode. Especially if you plan on making prints.

There are a few old threads around here that have lots of good advice about how to prepare your digital images for printing. It can be as easy as taking your memory card into a lab or even just a print station at the local drug store but most of use prefer to edit the images with Photoshop before printing ourselves or having it printed.

First, you should be aware of the size you want to print at. The files will be the proper ratio for 4X6 prints, but that's not the same ratio as 5x7 or 8x10. So if you plan to print at a different ratio, you will have to crop. It's much better to do this yourself so that you can choose the crop that looks best to you.

If you are printing yourself (or if you are have the prints made), be aware of the PPI if the image. That's pixels per inch, I think the default is 72, which is good for viewing on a computer screen but not good for printing. You will want to resize your files to 300 PPI for printing. There are a few different ways to go about this, again try a search.

Not being extremely familiar with the 20D either, I'd expect that the A5-A4 print size would refer to paper sizes. I'm not sure what A5-A4 correspond to, but i believe it would work for an 8x10

Ok great info. Thx Big Mike and trodOoOr for the advice. I ended up just taking my CF card to a Fugi machine. I really got some great results going that route. My printer suks for photos. Everything went well with the settings I had it on and that fugi machine did a good enough job for me.

Thank you for replying to my post. I'm gonna get some good sleep tonight !! 8 )

M @ k o said:
Oh boy ! , I never really thought about this with my new 20D. I'm printing for the first time tomorrow. I took pictures of my new Grandbaby in the delivery room today. I got some really good shotz that would make everyone smile.

I have my Image-recording Quility settings @ Medium Fine JPEG. 2544x1696,

If there's a chance that you could be printing the images you take, ALWAYS shoot in the largest and most uncompressed format your camera allows, RAW if it has it. Any setting below "large" is for people who take their card to a photo kiosk and print their images on 4x6 that way. You need to start with the best possible image.

Most reactions

Back