Please help with metering!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by CThomas817, Aug 28, 2017.

1. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I usually meter manually but yesterday my photos seemed overexposed (children outdoors at sunset). I work in aperature priority when I use the Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 for the bokeh. Should I be matrix metering with this lens and for my subject?

2. photo1x1.com

photo1x1.com TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    When you use aperture priority and f1.4 on a bright sunny day, you will very likely overexpose your shot because the camera canĀ“t compensate shutter speed enough to get the right exposure.

3. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    You're at maximum aperture, I presume?

We can't always shoot at maximum aperture.

Can you post an example of the result and please include the EXIF, or list the settings? Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Show us the photos.

Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    For people use center-weighted metering.
    Don't confuse bokeh with depth of field (DoF) shallow or otherwise.
    They are different things.
    Bokeh is not adjustable.
    DoF is and point of focus distance has more effect on DoF than lens aperture does while lens focal length, background distance and image sensor size also affect the depth of the DoF.

6. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi - thank you all for the input. I did not shoot at max aperature - I teetered between 2.8 - 4 depending on how close I was to the subject but I guess I was still too open for the shutter capability. I will post some pics in a few min with the corresponding EXIF. I am working on a D3300 if that helps. I know that bokeh is not adjustable and yes I wanted a shallow DOF for some of the shots. This lens has given me a beautiful bokeh even at smaller aperatures and that's why I stick with it for portraits

7. CThomas817

CThomas817 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The last photo is not overexposed but her facial features are washed out and something is off (aside from being dusk blue). Gamma correction in PS helped me a little bit with the super bright photos but I did not get the facial sharpness I was looking for. I used Auto ISO which is why I think I may have metered poorly.

DSC_0023.JPG
    f/4, 1/125, IS0 125

DSC_0099.JPG
    f/3.2, 1/125, ISO 140

DSC_0049.JPG
    f/2.8, 1/125, ISO 100

DSC_0325.JPG
    f 4.5, 1/125, ISO 560

DSC_0480.JPG
    f 5.6, 1/125, ISO 3200

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The first two look over-exposed to me...the trend is very much toward "too bright" on those JPEG images. Do you accidentally have some Exposure Compensation set on the camera? Is the camera set to + exposure value?

Just looking at your exposure settings...I mean,What The Heck!!

These are Daylight shots...and the aperture is super-wide and the speeds are sloooooooow....you seem to have a serious fundamental problem, like gross over-exposure.

And, the thing is: in Manual mode, with AUTO ISO enabled, it is possible to set an exposure that is outside the camera's capabilities, and to wind up grossly over-exposed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    You first noted the photos seemed overexposed. You have the EC (exposure comp) set to +.33 for all of the photos. Sharpness is compromised in some of the photos -- my first reaction would be to consider the 1/125th sec. shutter speed the culprit. Auto ISO shouldn't effect metering but the +.33 EC sure does. If you have raw file originals there shouldn't be a problem and in fact the +.33 EC would likely be a benefit.

Joe

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ysarex

Photos OK to edit
    Looks like we clicked post about the same time. You're instinct as usual is right on. He has a +.33 EC set for all of these.

Joe

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, but + 0.33 is only one-third of a stop....a few weeks ago, I used AUTO ISO in Manual mode with my D610, and moved from indoors to outdoors, and took some shots that were wayyyyyy over-exposed. My exposure settings were way to wide an f/stop and way too slow a speed, and I went to the beach...my shots were "yellow-white-over-exposed"...as in realllly wayyy over.

I often ADD 0.3 or 0.7 EV to the metering when shooting RAW with my Nikons...so...I dunno.... +0.3 ought not to cause such horribly bright images.

On a D3400 or whatever, +0.33 EV is nothing...not even an issue...these are wayyyyy screwed up exposures...

• Like Like x 1
  12. dunfly

dunfly No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you are shooting in Aperture priority, why are all of the shutter speeds 1/125. That seems almost impossible to occur unless it was done intentionally by adjusting ISO. I don't think there is a problem with the camera metering. It looks more like a problem with how you are setting up the camera. I would have set the Aperture where you wanted it, set the ISO at 100 and let the shutter speed go as high as the camera wanted.