Please Help

it is a big problem in our society .when ever some one do something different and when he does it . than our society crying over the split milk. this is not god because when a person want and love photography than what is the problem of society . but they can not see this and allegation that person like gay or other words. this is not good. i would like to say to your friend that the photography is way of presenting mean by the photography you can learn presenting your ides in front of society as well as all word. you can explore your ideas by photography and also get cool nature by photography. and i have red your last reply on 12-17-12 that you are saying that when you showed our reply to your friend and some other cracked a jock on him . and he clicked his smiling face . this is best thing which done by your friend , this is the indication of good photographer.

thnak

Tell your friend: if he can't take a few bullets, then he's not going to make it in any arena in life. He has to have a rock solid foundation of who he is and what he wants before taking over the world of anything (i.e., photography included).

There is that tiny moment between someone getting a comment, and the person's reaction to the comment. And in that tiny moment hangs a decision - who's going to be in control. The default, is to react. Which gives the control to the person who made the comment, because they made you twitch. The much harder thing to do, is to stretch that moment out, and respond in the way that you control, which then denies the instigator their effect. Sounds to me that your friend has learned that lesson.

This is a very unusual post you are about to read but please hang in there and hear me out!

Okay so when I got into photography it started out pretty rough. I got some crud here and there but I ignored it because I loved what I was doing.

Recently my good friend decided he wanted to get into photography and after we talked for a while we purchased him a camera. He is not the richest kid in the world and started off like most of us with a point and shoot. He loves coming with me too take pictures and I try to teach him as much as possible. He has encountered the problem I had when I first got into photography of people being, well honestly people just being complete dicks. They make fun of him for his camera and call photography "gay" and such.

I personally never cared and pushed the matter aside but he is very self-conscious. I've tried helping him but he still thinks negatively. He is still pondering quitting photography. He says he loves it but he can't stand the constant crap he gets. He says that if everyone thinks he shouldn't be into photography then maybe he just shouldn't.

What I'm asking is for any kind advice you guys may have. I want to show him that there is a whole community that supports him and that think he should keep trying. I think after showing him the thread he will get over this silly situation. I'm sorry if this was difficult to understand, it was a little hard to word.

Thanks,

-Luke

Carry a heavy tripod and learn to lay the smack down.

This sounds like a high school problem.

It is all about your mind. Do not think what others say. Just go for it. If your photoghraps please you, then you should be happy about it. So take your point and shoot camera and shoot whatever you like to frame and do it in quantity.

Thanks mate

Sounds like he has a lack of confidence in himself, some people use cameras to hide their faces and feel naked without one. It's tough to just say grow a thicker skin and suck it up when you're dealing with people putting you down all the time. He should just keep taking pictures, if it makes him happy then that's a start to building some confidence in himself. Everyone goes through it at some point in their lives and it's usually the *******s and bullies that have the least confidence in themselves.

Just stick with it.

They make fun of him for his camera and call photography "gay" and such.

Ask them if they've ever heard of Richard Fegley or Stephen Wayda (Google these if you don't know the names...). Hardly "gay."

Then tell them to EFF the hell off!

Last edited:
This sounds like a high school problem.

When I was in middle school, and growing up for that matter, I wanted desperately to be an actor in the movies or perhaps a director. I just felt the "pull" to do this. But, my older brother was 4 years older than me and he told me that if I joined drama in high school, everybody would call me a "drama queer." Well, I stupidly listened to him and did not join drama. My senior year, I felt like I had missed out and I really resented listening to him, so I took theater production as an elective course. We built props for plays the drama students put on and we worked behind the scenes during the shows. It was amazing and more fun than you can imagine! I was SO happy I did it and really resented listening to my brother and not following my heart.

Now I'm 43 and I love photography and I'll be damned if I let somebody's opinion of me or of my hobby sway me from doing what makes me happy.

Got it? :headbang:

Most reactions

Back