Please, I need professional opinion about shot movies with DSLR Cameras.

adrianomm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone.

Please, I live in Brazil and I need some professional opinion of about shot movie with a DSLR camera.
I Work in a company that film movie and shot pictures from graduation events and the board of the company is thinking about the possibility of filming some events with the photographers DSLR cameras.
Some of the photographers have raised several bad issues about doing that.

1 – DSLR photographic camera shortens the lifetime or even ruin the camera sensor.
2 - The Camera while film movie for a long time tends to be very hot and goes into safe mode by turning off the equipment.
3 - Focus is only manual and makes it difficult to shot movie.
4 - The quality does not compare with the professional camcorders.

I called to the Brazilian Canon and the Nikon support and I heard some confirmations from Canon but Nikon has spoken totally different .

Canon answer:

1 - Sensor does not broke or decreases the lifetime using the movie mode.
2 - The camera really gets hot and especially if the ISO is too high and it can actually shut down until is cool.
3 - Filming are able to make short videos in Full HD between 11 ~ 15 minutes only, HD 20 ~ 25 minutes and Low quality 30 minutes. He said that this limit is imposed by a decision of the company to which the photographic camera does not take the marketshare from the camcorders market.
4 – Quality is not inferior if compared with a professional camcorder.
5 - He said the focus is really manual, which only has a ”Continuous autofocus”in movie mode with subject tracking on T4I model.
6 - Recommended Cameras: 5DMARK3 and T4I

Nikon answer:

1 - Sensor does not broke or decreases the lifetime using the movie mode.
2 - Nikon cameras do not get hot enough to automatically turn off the camera.
3 - The recording time is limited only by the memory card size. The camera does not have any kind of shooting movie limit time.
4 - Some models of cameras have automatic focus (if the camera has automatic focus in the body of the camera) and using lenses AS and ASS
5 - Quality is not inferior is compared with a professional camcorder.
6 - Recommended Cameras: D3X, D4 and D800

The professionals could give their opinions on these question ?
Pros and Cons of shot movie with professional DSLR Cameras?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Adriano

PS: Sorry about my poor english :)

Pros:

1. small size camera with multiple lenses
2. excellent image quality and colour
3. smooth motion with slow motion capability

Cons

1. Autofocus can be too slow for fast action as well as heard by the built-in microphone
2. None of the meters, audio controls, ear phone jack etc that are present on pro television cameras
3. No internal edit or "rewind" controls on a DSLR camera
4. As the camera heats up, image quality deteriorates

Pros:

1. small size camera with multiple lenses
2. excellent image quality and colour
3. smooth motion with slow motion capability

Cons

1. Autofocus can be too slow for fast action as well as heard by the built-in microphone
2. None of the meters, audio controls, ear phone jack etc that are present on pro television cameras

Cons

If you're using auto-focus with a DSLR, you're using it wrong.

60D + MagicLantern fixes all of these issues

Oh no! You're limited to editing on a computer where you have more control? what a shame.

Nope.

Cons

Maybe 2 years ago.

5DMark III is going to be your best bet for DSLR video.

adrianomm - there is only one DSLR-type camera that can shoot for more than 30 minutes, the Panasonic GH3. All the rest, to include the Canon 5D Mark III, are crippled in this area. Sadly, the Nikon dealer misinformed you - the D3X, the D4 and the D800 are also limited to 30 minutes of continuous shooting.

The GH3 also has a number of video-centric lenses with silent, fast autofocus. Some of them have power zoom.

Here is a test of the GH3 with the 14-42mm power zoom lens. Note the quick and accurate autofocus at 1:20 (please watch at 1080p):

If you can't find one in Brazil, you can get this camera for $1299 on eBay.com or at Amazon US.

I hope this is helpful.

Bill
Hybrid Camera Revolution

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks a lot for all informations guys.
Help me a lot
:)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back