Please, make your kids wear helmets.

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
I'm riding along and this must have happened at around 20mph, I'd just looked at my computer and it was reading a fraction over that (and I think it under-reads slightly). I'm in the road and going past a parked car when a kid on a bike suddenly appears. He's ridden into the road on his bike and given me around three feet to notice he's there, put on my brakes and get out of his way. Obviously that can't be done and I crashed into him, hitting his front wheel. He went to ground, I stumbled and then joined him on the deck. As I stood up I could hear a car coming so with me going "are you ok? Are you ok?" I put my hands under his armpits and scooped him up. I checked him over and he was fine. A small white mark on his left elbow. As the children he was with (I think one was his older sister) repeatedly said to him "that's why you don't go into the road" I insisted he went inside to get the once over from his mum.

On the way back home I went around that area again to see if he was ok. I saw his sister (I assume) and asked her. As she tried to get rid of me (strange man on bike, go away, go away! :mrgreen: ) she said he was fine. I looked over to the other side of the road to see him climbing on a cars bonnet. He was fine then...

Two things I'm grateful of. The first is that I was on my new bike as my old one has almost no brakes when you first put them on and is a lot heavier. The second being that I wasn't a car or a motorbike. He could have had serious problems if I was. Even if I'd had landed on him he would have been in trouble.
Actually, three things I'm grateful of. The last being that my radio turned itself off from the impact, not because it was broken. :mrgreen:

So, please, make sure your kids wear helmets and know not to wander off into the road. Especially not from behind parked cars!

Thank god you all are okay. Its good to see you stoped to check the boy over and to make sure his mother knew. Where I live most people would have made sure the kid could get up and taken off so that they wouldn't have to deal with it. Ferny you are a good person and it is good to see some people still care.

i agree. at first though, i seriously thought you meanting you were driving in a car. needless to say, i was quite surprised at how ok the kid was afterwards.

I'm glad you're okay! :hug::

Steven always wore his helmet, and we wear ours, too. Wouldn't think of biking without it!

Watch out for bunnies, too! :x

Glad everyone is okay. The boys know they can't ride without a helmet and we don't move the car until they are buckled in.

terri said:
Watch out for bunnies, too! :x
The bunnies aren't a problem, it's those bastard pheasants. I'm waiting for one to shoot across and get its head caught in my wheel. It'll take it clean off and it'll mean I have dinner sorted to. :mrgreen:

ummm that was rather graphic my dear pete. :shock:

you must have some pretty strong spokes there to do that.... or are you just really hungry?

It would bend the spoke beyond repair, I'm sure. But... I've never eaten pheasant and the more I see (every time I go out I seem to find more and more) I get curious. :mrgreen:

ferny said:
The bunnies aren't a problem, it's those bastard pheasants. I'm waiting for one to shoot across and get its head caught in my wheel. It'll take it clean off and it'll mean I have dinner sorted to. :mrgreen:
:biglaugh:
Nice!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back