PLEASE - Mark Your Cameras!

airgunr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
We have a restaurant and someone left a Canon Powershot A620 here early last March. They didn't have any owner info on the camera or in the case. There were some lovely shots of a family with a new baby and them on vacation.

I took the SD card and downloaded the images to my computer and printed out a couple of photos that shows group shots of the family. I put them up in our front entry way in the hopes that someone would recognize themselves or the people in the picture.

It's been more than 6 months and no one has come forth. I guess I get a new camera but I would have prefered to get it back to the family that lost it.

PLEASE! Put a lable with your name, address and telephone number on your camera or in the case so if you do loose it someone can get it back to you. Another good idea is to take the 1st shot of that info and leave it on the card so if it is viewed the info is there.

The "P Touch" printers are great for making lables for this purpose but even a slip of paper with your info on it would help to get your stuff back to you should you loose or forget it at a business or some place else. At least it would greatly increase the probability that you could get it back.

You got me thinking. I think I better do something with my camera(s).

Kudos to you by the way, for the extra effort you have gone through in an attempt to find the owner. You are a great person for this. Enjoy your new camera because, after what you tried to do you can enjoy it with a good conscience.

Great tip...

Soo.... whatcha want for the camera?

:)

Great idea on using labels that can be removed. Personally, even if I find the best deal ever on Evil-bay, I will not buy it if it has someones social security number on it.

i think for small p&s it is really a good idea!

as for larger equipment, I would never forget my gear anywhere, since I would instantly realise that i felt a considerable burden taken from my shoulders ;)

A colleague of mine lost his mobile phone in a glacier early this year. now, months later he got it back from the phone company who got it from the person who found it ... the phone is still working ;) ... a camera's owner could not have been identified that easily.

A colleague of mine lost his mobile phone in a glacier early this year. now, months later he got it back from the phone company who got it from the person who found it ... the phone is still working ;) ... a camera's owner could not have been identified that easily.

my god! my phone barely works in a room temperature apartment, his survived months in a glacier?!?! :lol:

seriously though, i think i'll at least put something in my camera bag now (if i lose anything, it'll be that... i have a tendency to set it down and start walking) thanks for the thread, airgunr

my god! my phone barely works in a room temperature apartment, his survived months in a glacier?!?! :lol:

he was very surprised himself! ... well, he lost his other mobile when doing a kayak stunt with a canoe ;) .. that phone did not survive!

he must be with Nextel, they have tank-like phones.

Yes, Motorola's PTT phones are tanks...except the blingy ones.
I had an i860 and dropped it once. broke. Got another one for free. dropped it once. broke (within 2 weeks of each other).
They ran out (from replacing so many broken ones)...upgraded me to an i870. Now it hasn't broke...but it acts up...the lights don't come on sometimes when I open it...(can't txt at night)...and now this month txting hasn't worked...though I id get charged for 11 dollars...hmmm

Anyways.

Even if I put my name...who's gonna return a bag full stuff like that? THey see a white lens and it's straight to ebay.

Though I guess if they're old they could be nice...

I should probably do it anyways...and maybe my SIN number on the body somewhere...

as for larger equipment, I would never forget my gear anywhere, since I would instantly realise that i felt a considerable burden taken from my shoulders ;)

You would be surprised what people forget and leave here. We have a chest of drawers full of cell phones, wallets, purses, credit cards, glasses, hats, scarves, etc. It's amazing that some people don't have some form of identification in a wallet or on a cell phone. Most of the wallets are from kids with just some money and a few photos.

Just last week I got one. A little pink one with around $25 a couple of photos and a library card in it. I called the library, in another state, and asked if they could give me the contact info or call the little girl. They called the girl and let her know we had it. She was so happy and her mom was amazed that we had it. I sent it off to them yesterday.

I did have one person leave a Olympus DSLR in a bag with a couple of lenses and stuff. Finally after 2 weeks they called just to see if it was possible that they had left it here They had been on vacation and hit so many places they just didn't remember. I don't understand how they could but they did.

Anyway, I told them I had it and shipped it back to them. They were nice enough to send me the postage after they got it even though I didn't ask them for it.

I did have one person leave a Olympus DSLR in a bag with a couple of lenses and stuff. Finally after 2 weeks they called just to see if it was possible that they had left it here They had been on vacation and hit so many places they just didn't remember. I don't understand how they could but they did.

Now this is really something I cannot understand at all ... I would miss my camera instantly ;)

I've never left my bag at a store or restaurant but I did leave it on top of my car once. I carried a large bag for my RB67 system (the camera, a 90mm and 360mm lens and lots of other stuff), which also served as a diaper bag for our infant daughter. I set the bag on top of the car while we put our daughter in her car seat. I can't remember what distracted me, but I didn't have to stand back up to sit down in the driver seat so I got in, started the car and started off. I didn't go more than probably 30 feet before I remembered where my camera bag was sitting. I have never stopped my car so slowly or gently before or since as I did that day. :D

I'm just glad it was one of those days there was no traffic and I left the curb in front of our apartment at a slow pace.

Mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back