Please, Please, Please, I need help!

Copyright (US federal law) is a bundle of rights. The photographer likely has a 'use license' clause (a type of rental agreement) in the contract that grants you the right to have prints of the photos made for personal use, but the photographer likely still owns the copyright to all the photos.

You can learn more about US Copyright law here - www.copyright.gov.

Regardless. Contact a lawyer and ask if anything can be done. If you are on government assistance and can't afford it you can always go to Legal Aid. Show the lawyer your contract and any correspondence you have. The judge will not laugh at you. It may even be settled out of court. Check you area for lawyers who are willing to give you a free consultation if money is an issue.

Thank you everyone for your response. I have contacted the BBB (it seems as he has 11 complaints against him in the last 3 years) and then will proceed down the legal avenue. Can anyone answer this though: do you think it is possible to even edit a picture as I described close to original form? (The photographer added a white translucent rectangle basically across the bottom of the photo)

Thanks again for all your input!

It's not that we can't. It's that we won't. You are asking us to violate copyrite. It's just bad business ethics.

Thanks. No, I understand. I was just wondering if what I was asking was possible. If so, I will try to figure out a way to do, but if not I would not waste my time. Thanks again though!

Most reactions

Back