Please review my pictures (first time on forums)

USNaturePhotos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey all,

I just found this forums and was wondering if you all could review some of my past photos. I just upgraded my lenses and camera, and am amazed at the difference from my old work.

5/26/2012 - US Photographs

Thanks,
Erik

Welcome to the forum.

It's really best to post pictures you would like critique on. Visit the Gallery Section and wander through th posts to see how others do it. There is a sticky at the top of this forum section to help with posting pictures.

As for your images, you seem to center everything. Google photographic composition, and start on your long journey of learning the theories of composition and the elements of design, to improve your knowledge of the visual language.

Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials

Ya I spent three hours trying to post to your gallery, doesn't like me. I will work on it again later.

You don't have to use the gallery. You can use links between image tags.

[ IMG ] URL.jpeg [ /IMG ]

Ah nice!

Well here are my best three photos.

IMG0611-XL.jpg

1224635541_nFBSC-XL.jpg

1224637315_kDiFa-XL.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG0611-XL.jpg
    $IMG0611-XL.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 189
I am so surprised after visit your post its rally amazing photos set. I like your post very much. Thanks a lot for sharing !!

Thanks man I appreciate it! I have a ton more work to do though. Any critique's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I like the bumble. a bit over exposed for my liking, still cool though.

I think you need to spend more time deciding what is the important thing you are looking at and then follow these three rules:
Put the important things in important places
Compose to minimize dead space and things that distract from the center of interest - the important things
Process to minimize faults and maximize good points.

#2 & #3 have no real center of interest - i.e. nothing that I know I'm supposed to be looking at.
#2 - nothing really is the center of interest, the yellows and greens are oversaturated and lose all detail
#3 the foreground is OOF; the background is in focus (I think) but obscured by brightness.

#1 is in reasonable focus (I think) but, the bumblebee draws my eye and the rest of the image just hangs around.
why not get in tighter to make the image more dynamic?

$IMG0611-XLbeee.jpg

I think you need to spend more time deciding what is the important thing you are looking at and then follow these three rules:
Compose to minimize dead space and things that distract from the center of interest - the important things

#2 & #3 have no real center of interest - i.e. nothing that I know I'm supposed to be looking at.
#2 - nothing really is the center of interest, the yellows and greens are oversaturated and lose all detail
#3 the foreground is OOF; the background is in focus (I think) but obscured by brightness.

#1 is in reasonable focus (I think) but, the bumblebee draws my eye and the rest of the image just hangs around.
why not get in tighter to make the image more dynamic?

View attachment 9800

A photographic degree in three simple sentences. Very nice, Lew. I'm tempted to adopt them for my first ever sig. What do you say?

A photographic degree in three simple sentences. Very nice, Lew. I'm tempted to adopt them for my first ever sig. What do you say?

I would be honored that a skilled, intelligent and discerning photographer such as yourself thinks so. :lmao:

I've been using these three 'rules' as the basis of a presentation I have give to several (actually three but 'several' sounds more impressive) local camera clubs and have been struggling with the idea of writing the 'lecture' as a document with illustrations. The presentation also includes a part of how to look at images and understand why they don't work and how to chart a post-processing path to improve them.

It will be a lot of work (because I have to get permission to use examples I've just clipped from the web) and I am a little hesitant because I am concerned that, in blind egotism, I am over-estimating my abilities in analysis and critique (large yell of agreement from crowd along with cries of 'you are a jerk').

Any response?

I like the bumble. a bit over exposed for my liking, still cool though.
? Doesn't look overexposed to me, and the histogram doesn't indicate it either. When's the last time you calibrated?

The issue wasn't with exposure, it was the calibration. I forgot to make the change in Adobe to use my camera's landscape color calibration.

@The_Traveler - I have made some changes as you suggested. Thank God for 24 megapixels to work with! I fixed the cropping and the color balance and I think it looks 100x better.

IMG0611-2-XL.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back