Please talk me out of this...

Should I hit the "proceed to checkout" button?

• Yes!

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • No!

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Change some things first...( add comment )

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lens hold their value WAY better than bodies, so I'd go with good glass, and the least expensive body that will do the job you need it to.

^ Nikon P520 =-/
That's better than a cell phone in which your profile lists ...
as the P520 has a Manual mode. you can learn alot from that little camera.

Yes and no.

No dont buy it in this price.
Yes buy it used of ebay or other source for much less.
I saw it on ebay for sale for around 360$ so if I was in the market for such a lens thats what I would do and for that amount, paying over 600$ for this lens when you can get it for almost half the price of ebay or other second hand sources sounds almost like a sin to me.

Good luck.

Parker, would you recap for us what it is you want to do/achieve with a new set-up; if you are thinking of spending, say, about a grand or so, you can get an older used, but ok body - with a much bigger/better sensor than your P520 - and a decent superwide to wide zoom. But what else do you want beyond real estate pictures?

If you are buying a lens for payed and taxed work. Buy quality and write it off in your taxes.

Buy the smaller, lighter, HANDIER 16-35 f/4 VR-Nikkor for a little under $1,000 on the current $300 rebate!!!! If you want a D610, sure. But skip on the 14-24.

Buy the smaller, lighter, HANDIER 16-35 f/4 VR-Nikkor for a little under $1,000 on the current $300 rebate!!!! If you want a D610, sure. But skip on the 14-24.
Sorry Derrel I am a bit confused why skip the 14-24mm ?
From what I understand only 2 negatives of this lens is that it is very expensive and will not take filters.

i don't understand the 18-250 macro for canon....i would decide my body first.....lol

Maybe the 2mm difference not worth 1 k?

Maybe the 2mm difference not worth 1 k?

My God man, that's insanity. Of course it's worth the 1k difference. You won't have to move your camera 2 mm closer, or further away.. or.. well, 2 mm! Think about that. Ok, granted I have no idea how far that is in a real unit of measure not used by space aliens but it sounds like an awful lot to me!

Lol

I'd assume with any of these zooms, the sweet spot is around middle focal lengths, stopped down a bit...but then again, with raw and software, less of a problem.

From what I understand only 2 negatives of this lens is that it is very expensive and will not take filters.

Not quite. The 14-24 flares a lot. It's HUGE, and heavy, and it has a limited range...the 14-24 is almost useless for people work, where the 16-35 has a much broader range (in angular view) than the 14-24. The 16-35 has VR, for better panning shots, and for stabilization when shooting in the wind, one-handed, aboard boats, in cars, or in windy conditions.

The difference between 24mm on the top end and 35mm is 24,28,35mm...three recognized lens lengths that are useful on FF. The 14-24 is a wide-to-wide..it has first gear and second gear...and that's "it".

The 16-35 is a wide to wide, and a wide to semi-wide (28mm),and a wide to semi-normal (35mm)...it has first,second,third, AND fourth gears...

Filters, VR, better ,wider focal length range, smaller, lighter,less-conspicuous, half the price, equal sharpness for the 16-35 VR.

I've shot thousands of photos with my Sigma 18-250mm macro and I love it to bits. I used it on my Canon 7D for all of my museum photos and many of my zoo and aquarium photos. It's never ever let me down.

Not quite. The 14-24 flares a lot. It's HUGE, and heavy, and it has a limited range...the 14-24 is almost useless for people work, where the 16-35 has a much broader range (in angular view) than the 14-24. The 16-35 has VR, for better panning shots, and for stabilization when shooting in the wind, one-handed, aboard boats, in cars, or in windy conditions.

The difference between 24mm on the top end and 35mm is 24,28,35mm...three recognized lens lengths that are useful on FF. The 14-24 is a wide-to-wide..it has first gear and second gear...and that's "it".

The 16-35 is a wide to wide, and a wide to semi-wide (28mm),and a wide to semi-normal (35mm)...it has first,second,third, AND fourth gears...

Filters, VR, better ,wider focal length range, smaller, lighter,less-conspicuous, half the price, equal sharpness for the 16-35 VR.

Yep you make a strong case there to go with the 16-35mm VR and I did forget how big and heavy the 14-24mm is.
Thank you :)

Well as of right now it is 8 votes for YES and 9 votes for either NO or change something about my order.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back