Please Tell me what you think *beginner*

spaz2145

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ve13iu.jpg

This Was a quick shot I took in the woods. I was Planning on cropping it but after messing around a little bit i loved the black and white. Any opinions?

t9jz91.jpg

Not sure what you were going for here but I see 2 snapshots, one in color and one in black and white.

Is there a Sasquatch in the woods that I'm missing for a point of interest? :D

Not sure what you were going for here but I see 2 snapshots, one in color and one in black and white.

Is there a Sasquatch in the woods that I'm missing for a point of interest? :D

Its called photography. I'm not sure if you've noticed but some of the most famous snapshots are of things you see everyday. There doesn't have to be a "point of interest". Was that your critique or do you have some specific things I should change?

Its called photography.

Is it?

Nice attitude, you asked for my opinion and I gave you just that, MY opinion.

I'm not sure if you've noticed but some of the most famous snapshots are of things you see everyday. There doesn't have to be a "point of interest".

Have any examples?

Was that your critique or do you have some specific things I should change?

It's just not interesting to me.

Looks like you found some woods, took out your camera and pressed the button.

What is there to critique?

Depth of field is infinity and nothing really stands out. It's flat, emotionless and boring. I've taken my share of shots like this as well, don't get me wrong - but there's really nothing here, in my opinion, worth commenting on.

Try a smaller depth of field to try and single out one of the trees I guess, or find a trail that leads you into the picture.

Maybe someone else will have the answer you were looking for... I have nothing else to say about it.

Last edited:
Nice attitude, you asked for my opinion and I gave you just that, MY opinion.

It's just not interesting to me.

Looks like you found some woods, took out your camera and pressed the button.

What is there to critique?

Depth of field is infinity and nothing really stands out.

Try a smaller depth of field to try and single out one of the trees I guess, or find a trail that leads you into the picture.

Maybe someone else will have the answer you were looking for... I have nothing else to say about it.

What attitude? And I'm wondering more along the lines of quality is there something I should change rather than art, or interest.

I edited my second response, hopefully you'll be able to see where my thoughts are on this one from that - as well as things I'd personally change to make it better.

My initial response may have been lacking the information you wanted but in the future, especially with a photo such as this one, it would really help if you gave some background - such as the look you wanted or what you saw that made you want to capture this particular scene vs any other possible view of this location.

The reality of it is that if you're just going to aim your camera and capture 'something', there's really nothing other than luck that is going to make it a great photograph.

Last edited:
Theres nothing i can focus on. my eye just wanders around. and its kinda bland i think.

Nice start
I recommend reading this:
Guidelines for Better Photographic Composition: Rule of Thirds

Like said, there's not much interesting about it - nothing catches the eye.
In a photo like this you would want to focus strictly on one tree, leave or branch, and let the rest be out of focus - directing your attention to that one part - since there's not much interesting. If it was a rain forest, then yes, or even a regular forest, but with a path or whatever. The image is too busy and there's not much contrast...

If you are looking to take a landscape, you'd be much better off getting the whole tree with the horizon - something like this http://www.uf.a.u-tokyo.ac.jp/english2/chichibu/chichibu051.jpg

In this shot, it feels like you're surrounded by a tropical forest, and then you see the light and a way out - maybe to a village. http://www.monteverdeinfo.com/reserve-santa-elena-monteverde/images/cloud-forest-vegation.jpg

I edited my second response, hopefully you'll be able to see where my thoughts are on this one from that - as well as things I'd personally change to make it better.

My initial response may have been lacking the information you wanted but in the future, especially with a photo such as this one, it would really help if you gave some background - such as the look you wanted or what you saw that made you want to capture this particular scene vs any other possible view of this location.

The reality of it is that if you're just going to aim your camera and capture 'something', there's really nothing other than luck that is going to make it a great photograph.

Google Image Result for http://morris-photographics.com/photography/photos/other/blackwhite/SimpleLife.jpg

Those are some pretty simple photos. There is more of a point of interest than mine but I'm a beginner I was looking for advice. Thanks for your help everyone!!

As a beginner, I definitely think you're on the right track here. The black and white is nice, but the cropping needs to be adjusted to include the base of the tree. I agree that there isn't much to focus on, but it gives you a good starting point to play with exposure, cropping, and color adjustment. A good learning exercise would be to go back to the same spot and recreate the shot from different angles, maybe adding an object of focus like a stump, wildflower, etc. Is there any flowing water in the area, that would be cool too. Contrast is good, which is why it looks nice in BW. Keep at it.

There seems to be no focal point.

Google Image Result for http://morris-photographics.com/photography/photos/other/blackwhite/SimpleLife.jpg

Those are some pretty simple photos. There is more of a point of interest than mine but I'm a beginner I was looking for advice. Thanks for your help everyone!!

for your own sake I hope you are joking.

I am with Noyze. completely.
Bland.
No Focal point.
DOF...?ugh..endless..
nothing appealing.

It is exactly what I call a snapshot.

Just take your critical eye and look at the difference between those shots and yours.
You should be able to distinguish the differences between in which make those photos interesting and yours not so much.

yea.. nothing in yours, no offense but you need some classes on composition, rule of 3rds and stuff. you cant seriously compare yours to the link..

It's uninspiring and a tad dull. Don't get me wrong, nature is a wonderful thing to capture but it's the details and the colors and the subtle magic of nature that makes it so wonderful. Nothing here is asking for my attention. I may as well be in a car driving by. Everyone pretty much said what I wanted. Give the viewer something to think about or better yet, feel.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back