Pleased with my find :)

sxesweets

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
but interested in hearing opinions on the lenses...

The story...
Was browsing the local kijiji tonight and found a fellow selling a couple of lenses and a film body for $75 and as the boyfriend has been bugging me to get something with a little bit of reach I decided to call the guy and find out -more. The lenses were a 28-80mm and a 70-300mm f4-5.6, both auto focus G lenses, they came with a Nikon F65 body and a bag. So we headed over to have a look popped the lenses on to see if they would focus with the D90 body (they did of course, I was pretty sure they would) He packed everything up for us and we were off... I was pretty sure that for $75 I could not really go wrong

In the car I was poking through the bag (yes that even included a bag that currently sells for more than the $75) and still can not believe that I found he had all the paperwork. The original receipt, bill of sale, warranty cards and manuals! There was even a filter on each lense and the original filter holders.

I know the lenses are not fantastic (I had been, and still am, looking for a 70-200 f2.8) but would like to know about any experiences anyone has had with them.

Thanks

yes I have had both but it was a while ago. The 28-80mm is pretty much the stock lens that nikon included in the past. The 70-300mm will give you the extra reach you need as long as you have good lighting but whereas thier both G lenses, you have no control over the aperture. If your just shooting during the daytime you'll be fine, but if you try using in dim lighting you'll have to bump up the iSO. For $75, you did ok. I think on e-bay, the 28-80 usually sells for between $25-$40 and the 70-300mm anywhere from $65-$100 depending on the condition. The camera body another 25-45 dollars plus you got the bag with it. You could always resell the camera on e-bay. Even if you just gott 25 for it, then the lenses and filters end up only cost you $50, which makes it an even better deal. Prices on e-bay for the 70-200mm f/2.8 are still pretty high. an alternative might be the 80-200mm f/2.8 which can be had for less than 50% of the price of the 70-200mm.

Prices on e-bay for the 70-200mm f/2.8 are still pretty high. an alternative might be the 80-200mm f/2.8 which can be had for less than 50% of the price of the 70-200mm.

I have been watching for this one too simply because of the price and sadly a crying infant yesterday distracted me from calling about a secondhand one :( so the watch is back on. I can not find it new anywhere so far but I have only looked locally... Does it even still come new...

If anything I figured that I can always just send these cheapies out with him hunting and not worry about them seeing as it was only $75

Thanks

I have been watching for this one too simply because of the price and sadly a crying infant yesterday distracted me from calling about a secondhand one :( so the watch is back on. I can not find it new anywhere so far but I have only looked locally... Does it even still come new...

Yes, there are a few dealers who still have them in stock new. Apears to be the 2 ring version. Prices for new are around $999. with free shipping. Used ones in nice condition vary in prices anywhere from 400-750. I had been trying to buy one on e-bay for a while but got out bid every time. Found some one locally that needed a battery charger and a few batteries for a D1x. He mentioned that he had the 2 ring version that he didn't use any more. We did an even swap and I'm pretty happy with it. It's certainly not in mint condition but it operates perfectly.

Most reactions

Back