pls help with photo titles for an exhibition

mmaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Remember how I was whining about my insecurity when I was planning to join a certain photo club?
Well...

I went on their meeting last week. It was very interesting. I was the "new" one and everyone was acting like I'm a total beginner (they didn't see anything I've done). I wasn't saying anything, wasn't interrupting anything, I asked a couple of questions about exhibitions because I couldn't comprehend "club-state-international exhibitions/saloons of photography system". And also I didn't bring my pictures on USB stick because no one told me to.
Anyway, while we were seeing photographs of other people there, I realized that I had nothing to be afraid of and when they were done I asked if they could see my pictures on the phone just to introduce myself a bit, of course, seeing photos on the phone isn't something that's desirable... but when they saw my pictures their behavior towards me completely changed, shifted from "distrust" to "respect" and they seemed genuinely satisfied and glad I'm there.
That was the most interesting part for me, observing their behavior towards me and that meant a lot. Thank you all who encourage me in that thread, you really helped me!

So back to the theme of this post... a state exhibition will be held in 6-7 cities during this year. Photographs displayed will be juried by a different jury in every city. 4 color + 4 bw photos per photographer is maximum (and I'm very pleased taht I have all 8).Black passe-partout will be 12x16 inches. Pictures will be 12'' on the long side. (their propositions)

Every one of the photographs has to have a unique name that will stay for every exhibition in the future.

I'm very very bad at titling my photos and I'm asking you to help me. Please give me your suggestions for these pictures.

I sent them about 20 photos and they choose these. (two of these have titles, but where I put the question mark I'm asking you if it's ok title)

1. Years
bbmrj_270914_0026 (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

bbmrj_270914_0073 (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

3. People of Brussels ? (he's sitting, the City Hall is full of people's figures around him..makes sense?)
brussels_100414_0277bw (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

4. Smell of pot in Ljubljana
060814_0559 (Large) (Mobile).jpg

doubt (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

infrontofhome (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

7. Barren simplicity (actually @D-B-J named this one . Thank you :) )
reallifeforsome (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

020915_0423-R (Medium) (Mobile).jpg

Thank you!

Last edited:
#8 makes me think of Alice in Wonderland, so you could title it "Dreaming as the Summers Die" which is a quote from a poem in the book.

"In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:"

2. "Memories", or "Rememberance"
3. It might well be a regional/language thing, but I don't get "People of Brussels" from this. "At the gate", "Waiting at the gates"?
5. "Wise beyond her years"

2- maybe "reflecting" or "remembering"

#1 is definitely "grandma about to whoop some ass" if my childhood experiences are accurate.

#5 could be innocence.
ty but I don't see "innocence" there

#8 makes me think of Alice in Wonderland, so you could title it "Dreaming as the Summers Die" which is a quote from a poem in the book.

"In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die:"
I think I'll go with that title. My only concern is that people here wouldn't understand the connotation. On the other hand someone else said that it reminds him of Alice in Wonderland too :)

2. "Memories", or "Rememberance"
3. It might well be a regional/language thing, but I don't get "People of Brussels" from this. "At the gate", "Waiting at the gates"?
5. "Wise beyond her years"
yeah... I changed the title.

2- maybe "reflecting" or "remembering"
similar as tirediron

#1 is definitely "grandma about to whoop some ass" if my childhood experiences are accurate.
lol, it could be

I want to thank you @dennybeall @cherylynne1 @tirediron @jaomul @pixmedic for giving me your suggestions. I need to give them files today so I have some papers to fill out.
I got some other suggestions as well but two pictures are particularly difficult to title #5 and #6

Can you tell us the stories behind #5 and #6? That might help us to focus in on your intentions.

Can you tell us the stories behind #5 and #6? That might help us to focus in on your intentions.
Those children are very poor and facing with things no children should. I was doing something with "poor families" project
Look at the expression of the girl? what it says to you?

Oh... I could write a lot about them but I don't need a lot I need a title that says something meaningful but not direct.

Like your previous suggestion, it isn't direct and it still leaves the room for the viewer's interpretation

That expression in #5 says "Burden" to me...

Number 8 makes me think of a little stubborn child who just wants to be impossible, but the only thing you can do is to smile, because she is the most precious thing in you life.

So the title could be precious or important.

2. Old Woman Sitting on Couch.

I think simpler is better. I started noticing at exhibits how photos were titled, how they were displayed, etc. long before I ever started doing submissions (but you may not have had an opportunity to do that). Maybe look up some famous photographers or current photography exhibits and notice how the photos are titled.

I think people bring their own life experiences to what they see in photos or artwork so different people may see something different in the same photo. In #5 I think there is so much emotion in that face and in those eyes that it could be described in many ways.

I wouldn't think you'd want to influence how a photo gets judged by what you title it; at least I feel like photos need to stand on their own. I know when I've done submissions all they see initially is the photo - often the way it's titled for submission is just my name and #1, #2, etc. (or exhibit name, my name, photo# ). Then if it's accepted I need to title it for display, write a blurb or a bio, etc. where it can get more descriptive.

But mine are pretty basic, I title a photo so I know which one it is. One of mine was 'Tree shadows in snow', another is 'Evening clouds'. I just title it what it is. I don't know what the expectation is or how photos are usually titled for the traveling exhibit that yours will be shown in. What you've described sounds somewhat different than what's done here in my experience.

And by the way - congratulations!!! It's a wonderful achievement to have your photos accepted and you should feel proud of what you accomplished. Go girl!

Most reactions

Back