Plustek 7200 film scanner - too good to be true?

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I read the following article:

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news/articles/story_1970.html

That's a hell of a scanner for the price!

The OpticFilm 7200 offers a physical resolution of 7200x7200 dpi and true 48-Bit color depth. At this resolution even the smallest slide details are scanned with brilliant quality. The scanner is able to generate an uncompressed picture file (24-bit color depth) that is 200 MB or larger or equal to about a 75-megapixel resolution digital camera.

Any thoughts?

2 ccd's and a mini light box on top. I am very interested!

Whoa, that's gotta be a misprint. It must be $1999 or maybe $1199.

If not they're gonna fly off the shelves.

I looked on the website, and it indeed is 200 bucks. The question is, should I purchase it? I'm definitely interested at that price!

Well, if it works as well as the review says, it's a hell of a deal. If it doesn't, you can always sell it on ebay.

And I checked it out also. several places have it for $199. Amazing!

Well folks... I got one from http:www.tigerdirect.com, for about $190 plus shipping. Can't wait to get it and will post a review of it. But from what I read, this scanner is pretty awesome.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I almost hope it doesn't work.

If it does then I'll have to get one! :lol:

Definitely update us on that scanner, Mitica. I'm bouncing either that one or the Minolta Dual Scan III in my head. Maybe you could even post some test scans...pleeeeease? :p

sbalsama said:
Definitely update us on that scanner, Mitica. I'm bouncing either that one or the Minolta Dual Scan III in my head. Maybe you could even post some test scans...pleeeeease? :p

Definitely! After getting it I will scan some slides and post up.

photobug said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but I almost hope it doesn't work.

If it does then I'll have to get one! :lol:

Oh nooooo! Yet another expense!

according to kodak

The highest resolution level (2048 x 3072 pixels) captures all the image data 35 mm film has to offer

so will a 7200 scanner pickup film grain only?

Guess what I got in the mail today?? Yep, the Plustek film scanner.

I unpacked the baby, installed it and ran a few slides through. Very easy to work with and very intuitive. For now I'm just learning how to work it but soon I should have some samples for ya. So far I have tried it at 3600 dpi and 7200 dpi. At the 7200 dpi setting I scanned a slide into a 180MB TIFF file in about 1 minute and a half. At 3600 dpi it takes only around 40 seconds to finish the scan.

So far I am very pleased with the ease of operation, the adjustments that are included with the software (dust/scratch removal, grain reducer, sharpening, color balance and many more) and they are all very easy to understand.

In conclusion, I've played with it for a couple of hours and when I'll have something for you to see I will post it. Meanwhile be patient... :lol:

These are quick scans:

WY04RedCabin02.jpg

CanX04a.jpg

The lower one (Canyon X in Page, AZ) is actually a crop of the 35mm slide, about 1/3 of it.

^_^!

Those shots look great - good photographer, and apparently good scanning equipment :p I think I'll have to pick one up now, which site did you get it at? Also, scan any color negs in yet? Thanks for being the guinea pig :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back