Pocket Wizard advice needed

Scout

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a pair of pocket wizards for Christmas. I was so excited to use them but now I don't think they are compatible with any of my existing equipment! I have 2 no-name strobes and canon 430ex. There is no plugin port on the 430ex and the holes on the strobes don't fit the cord that came with the PW's. I currently use the strobes with a PC cord and a hotshoe adapter. Do I need to get new equipment or is there a trick to this?

Also anyone use Calumet Genesis strobes? What do you think of them and are they compatible with the PW's?

Any help is greatly appreciated. You guys always have the right answers when I need it!

Hey Fellow San Diegan

This will hook the PW to your 430EX
RS8510 RPS Hot Shoe to 3.5mm Mini Plug for Pocket Wizard with 12" Cord - (Equivalent of Pocket Wizard MHSF1 Cord)

You say you only have a pair of PW, so how do you want to fire the strobes too?

The PW cord is a 3.5mm. What Plug do you strobes have? PC? 1/4" Phone? You can get adapters from 3.5 to others

The other Option, depending on what type of plugs you have on the strobes , are some optical triggers such as Wein Peanuts

But you would need to clarify what you have and how you want to trigger what

Awesome! Thanks for the link!!!

I just want to be able to trigger any of them. (At this point I am not picky!) If I can trigger one strobe the other should slave automatically. I don't use the 430ex and the strobes at the same time, I use each for different projects.

I just want to be able to trigger any of them. (At this point I am not picky!) If I can trigger one strobe the other should slave automatically. I don't use the 430ex and the strobes at the same time, I use each for different projects.

You should learn to use all three at one... for instance, a key light, a hair or rim light, and a background light (for portraiture). You might have fun with it! There are many other situations where more than one flash is handy... have fun!

You should learn to use all three at one... for instance, a key light, a hair or rim light, and a background light (for portraiture). You might have fun with it! There are many other situations where more than one flash is handy... have fun!

+1, I use my Elinchrom with 2 strobes. Works out great. Sometimes i use the PWs on the strobes and let the Elinchrom slave, sometimes the Elinchrom has a PW too (outside shoots during day, etc)

FlashZebra.com makes cables and has better prices than most of the big names. Lonnie, who runs the site also provides great customer service and will answer any questions you have.

FlashZebra.com makes cables and has better prices than most of the big names. Lonnie, who runs the site also provides great customer service and will answer any questions you have.
One more vote for FlashZebra! Great prices, great service and every cable you could ever want. Quick shipping too, even cross-border, near Christmas.

Thanks, I will definitely checkout the website. I will have to play with all three lights too!

Thanks, I will definitely checkout the website. I will have to play with all three lights too!

Whoever got you those pocketwizards for Christmas must think a lot of you. They're not the type to buy you a "second best" product. PWs are addicting, I "started" with only two also!

My husband does a great job picking out gifts doesn't he?! Thanks to everyone for the tip on FlashZebra.com. I have order cords and can't wait to start playing!

Thanks for all of your help!!! I got the cords from flashzebra.com yesterday and everything works great. I have to go play now!

Most reactions

Back